Win10 is not a bad system per say - it might work well for you, or your computer may not be up to the task of running it, or the hardware and software you rely on may or may not work on it. It is full of internal MS sanctioned spyware and adware, and will force you into a subscription model - paying endlessly for Microsoft Office for example, and soon, for the operating system itself.

The biggest problem is legacy software and hardware not working on it. I use QuickBooks Pro 2008 for my business, rely on it, it has all the features I need, and it will not run on Windows 10. That is roughly a $500 cost to update the software for me-- unanticipated. Also I use the Adobe CS5.5 Suite which I purchased in full. It has quite a few bad problems running on Windows 10. Updating that forces me into the Adobe endless subscription model - and there are very few of the new features that I really want or need. My friends business has Win7 specific video hardware - and the forced upgrade happened during a video shoot Monday - costing the shoot - six hired people had to be paid to stand around while they rolled back so that the expensive production hardware would work. So a lot of us have good, informed reason to stay on Win7.

Yes, you should be able to rollback. Some people are doing it with no problem, some are having trouble and ending up with borked systems. Some have no idea how to do it.

Don - your wife did nothing. Essentially it was pushed on her. She got a message telling her upgrade will happen - there was a way to decline, but in very fine print and not at all obvious. Clicking the X box (upper right corner of the dialog) to close the dialog initiated the update. Intentional misdirection on Microsoft's part and they are getting a ton of criticism for it.