Here's an outline of some ideas I'm having about the changing political environment - your comments are appreciated... It seems pretty clear to me that the old political labels and motivations are not working well for people today. The floundering of the U.S. Democratic party (and to a lesser extent the Republicans) is perhaps a symptom of some sort of impending change. What might that change be? Could a new party develop? It has happened before when the landscape changed.

Sorry, this is a pretty sketchy outline - basically an idea in rough form. But I think you'll get that idea. And, like the old Right/Left polarity, most of us will find ourselves to be a blend of the new polarities as well. Someone said, "how is this different from extremists vs moderates?" - which I think is an interesting question (considering the shrinking supply of moderates in the world).

Thoughts on Politics - 20th century ideas in the 21st century

20th century political poles
Right - supports individuals/ pro business/ individual rights protected
Left - supports social groups/ pro labor/ social rights of "the people" trump individuals

possible 21st century political poles?
Pragmatist - supports what works/ pro evolution/ pro trade/ pro communication/ politics is a non-zero sum game
Ideologue - supports what is right/ concerned with exercise of power & control/ politics is a zero sum game

A Pragmatist believes:
• The way it is is the way it is.
• We are where we are today because of evolving social and economic forces, trends and organizations. This natural conflict of interests must be worked with as we develop lasting solutions
• The future will be complex but probably better if we are willing to work with others
• The way to improve our situation is to understand these social and economic forces and use self-interest to create opportunities where all parties can gain (non-zero).
• Justice involves ignoring the past and encouraging a perspective where co-evolution and cooperation is possible.