Thread: Williams %r

Default Williams %r

Williams %r

by greencat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In technical analysis, this is a momentum indicator measuring overbought and oversold levels, similar to a stochastic oscillator. It was developed by Larry Williams and compares a stock's close to the high-low range over a certain period of time, usually 14 days.

It is used to determine market entry and exit points. The Williams %R produces values from 0 to -100, a reading over 80 usually indicates a stock is oversold, while readings below 20 suggests a stock is overbought.

greencat:notes
    pretty strightforward and simple. If any one would like examples please ask. I dont use the williams that much. I like the CCI better
    Anabelinapam

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CaribbeanCat View Post
    Williams %r

by greencat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In technical analysis, this is a momentum indicator measuring overbought and oversold levels, similar to a stochastic oscillator. It was developed by Larry Williams and compares a stock's close to the high-low range over a certain period of time, usually 14 days.

It is used to determine market entry and exit points. The Williams %R produces values from 0 to -100, a reading over 80 usually indicates a stock is oversold, while readings below 20 suggests a stock is overbought.

greencat:notes
    pretty strightforward and simple. If any one would like examples please ask. I dont use the williams that much. I like the CCI better
    i always thought above 80 meant overbought and below 20 meant oversold. similar to the RSI.

So which one is it?

I see that indicator in my CoolTrade robotic trader and never thought to use it.

Keith

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StockTrader6080 View Post
    So which one is it?

I see that indicator in my CoolTrade robotic trader and never thought to use it.

Keith
    -20 is overbought
    -80 is oversold

It is odd the way they set it up like that. Most other indicators would just have a regular 80 as overbought and a regular 20 as oversold. The Williams is reversed...

Here is a chart of US Steel (X):

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thegreatgate View Post
    -20 is overbought
    -80 is oversold

It is odd the way they set it up like that. Most other indicators would just have a regular 80 as overbought and a regular 20 as oversold. The Williams is reversed...

Here is a chart of US Steel (X):

I like the WIlliams though, it works very well!
    Nice bounce off the 50% retracement line (see above chart setup):