One of my favorite scenes from the classic movie "Wall Street" is the boardroom scene when Bud Fox realizes that Gordon Gekko is going to dismantle Blue Star Airlines piece by piece. A portly, bespectacled investment banker glibly says: "No sweat. We sell the gates and pawn the planes off on the Mexicans. Do we have a deal or what?"

Sure, there are more action-packed parts of the flick. But to me, that particular scene helps explain what investing is all about: buying an asset and watching as the value is realized or unlocked.

I've found a stock that fits that scenario that, coincidentally, is also in the airplane business: Fly Leasing (NYSE: FLY).

Based in Dublin, Fly Leasing is in the commercial aircraft leasing business. Airlines are increasingly turning to operating leases to supply their fleets. In fact, over one third of the world's airline fleet is leased.

Basically, the companies are renting the planes to avoid having a gigantic, swiftly depreciating asset sitting on its balance sheet. Firms like Fly assume the risk. Why? As that portly investment banker implied, you can always find someone who needs a plane.