Thread: Thank God for the internet!

Default Action junkies

Just wanted to know how many other people also bet sports / gamble in addtion to play the market. Got in a discussion with a friend of mine about it. I could see how certain people are more prone to it due to their personality. And if you do, what kind of trader are you? Day, Swing, long, etc....

I could see day or swing traders being more of the gambler type or they just like the action.

Curious to get some other insight.

Default wealth: Why On Earth Does the Rule of 72 Work?

Have you heard of the Rule of 72 and its tremendous predictive power to illustrate the snowballing effect of compound interest and it's interesting.

Here's how it works: take the number of "72" and mentally divide it by the absolute value of an interest rate to quickly work out the number of years compound interest need to double your money.

So if you had invested $10,000 at a steady 6% each year, it will take you 12 years to grow that money to $20,000.

Hope this is of some help to all of us trying to double our money.

good luck
    Steve

Default Confessions of a Cramer Robot, Chapter 2

I oft times reflect upon how moi became a Cramer Automaton

I think his Friday show is one reason, because it was packed with cynical Wall Street Wisdom (or as I prefer “Nasties”)

First was his take on Ethanol http://www.thestreet.com/_tscs/funds...0310783_2.html

Next, what “Markup Week” is really all about
    http://www.thestreet.com/_tscs/funds...0310783_3.html

It amazes me how the Big Shots of the World get away with such things, such as Markup Week and TV networks with juicing up Rating Periods and advertisers let them get away with this

The side to CramerLand that sux for me are those wasted college tours
    All I can ponder is why no one seemingly ever thinks about the book of “Ecclesiastes”

I am certainly not religious, but I sure wish Master Cramer would scan this book and slow down his insane marketing of himself before he lets the forces behind him do an “Elvis Presley” on him…

Oh, I am testing for two-weeks Investors Business Daily’s “Under $10 stocks”
    What a busy screen…

I am such a sucker for these two-week tests of newsletters as I refine my stock screener

Alas, even with this newsletter I still have to do my homework!

Boy, it is so darn hard being that irrational committed Cramer Automaton!

(Wish I could make all that ez money his callers extol about after only watching Cramer for a few months and these darn callers probably ain't even a Cramer Robot as moi--strolling in and, and reaping moi's loot--GEEZ!!)

Default The Mara River Meets Wall Street

found this and thought it was worth the 3 minutes to read:

from Steve Sjuggerud's Daily Wealth:

The Mara River Meets Wall Street
    by Tom Dyson
    September 18, 2006

Every year in June, in search of grass and water, three million wildebeest move from the Serengeti grasslands in Tanzania to the Maasai Mara grasslands in Kenya. And every October, they go back again.

The scale of this migration is hard to imagine. Try this: From a satellite in space, the animals look like a black stain moving across East Africa.

The Mara River crossing is the final – and most perilous – hurdle of the long journey. It’s nature’s way of controlling the wildebeest population. The banks are mostly jagged and cliff-like, so in most places, it’s a long drop into the river. It’s easier to cross the river where the banks are depressed and there’s less vegetation. The herd gathers at these points.

The river is high from rains upstream and the current is strong. The mud beside the river is very heavy too. But a worse danger lurks in the water: crocodiles. The waters are crowded with Nile crocodiles. They know there’s a walking banquet on the way, and they gather at the fords.

The animals pace up and down the bank, grunting loudly, eyeing the dangerous river. They are anxious. No one wants to go first. Finally one animal takes the lead and lunges in. The crowd then surges into the river behind.

Carnage follows. Thousands of wildebeest charge the river. Some animals are trampled to death. Others panic and dive in where the bank is too sheer. Many drown, especially the young. And all around, crocodile jaws thrash about in the water, snapping at the weak swimmers.

It is estimated that up to 25,000 wildebeest die at the Mara River each year.

I love Africa… and I’ve written about investing there many times this year. But this column is not about Africa. It’s about the manic behavior of investors in the commodity markets this month. They’re acting like wildebeest. And right now, the crocodiles are tearing their guts out.

News of huge inventories is spooking the energy pits. “Storage is almost maxed-out,” said one analyst. “Soon they’ll have to cap the gas wells.” Oil is down 19.6% in the last 35 days. Natural gas hit its lowest price in two years yesterday.

The Financial Times says the panic in oil and gas has spread to the metals. Gold is down $65 in the last eight trading days, a 10% loss. Silver is down $2.50 over the same period; a 21% drop.

Wall Street says this is the beginning of a new bear market in commodities. I found research from Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank, Merrill Lynch and Citigroup in the last few days on this matter.

Wildebeest. Don’t believe them.

Default On-Line Dating

I got a divorce - not nasty, because we both realized the only ones who win with this are the lawyers. We may have fell out of love, but we fortunately did not fall out of our senses.

I decided to get back into the dating scene; thus, on line dating. What a world! If Cramer PO's youse, then on line dating will take this to a new level of being PO'd.

First, dating sites want you to pay to get ignored. If you catch a "fish"? once every one hundred times you wink or blink interest, you catch a woman who wants a guy either like their dead husband or an alcoholic creep who beat the crap outta em. These ladies also want to talk about kids and grand kids—puh-leaze! My favorite on-line ladies though are those who I am sure are models, because their pictures are always posted. I ponder how could such lovelies never find a guy?

Anyway, at last I have found a FREE dating site! http://inmatesforyou.com/ THESE LADIES RESPOND!! I don't know what it is but I am just plain partial to murderesses. After I have done my homework and like the Metrics (Master Cramer has taught me well), I plan on conjugal visits to feel each other out. If I can, I will check her out for a day. I should probably not refer to her as "my wittle library book"? in our communications. I will keep you updated on my search for the Beautiful Murderess who will have me. BOOYAH!!

Default Terrorist Plot

http://tinyurl.com/ms3bt

Obviously another government conspiracy right fellas? These poor terrorists are just so misunderstood. If people would only leave them alone

The Guru has spoken

Default Confessions of a Cramer Robot

Yea, I finally came to terms I am Cramer robot. When I am accused of this here (by implication), the poster has it wrong about what I am, at least. For example, I do not blindly follow Cramer. I take one of his picks and follow it for a week or more to get into the psychology of the stock (remember humans are behind any jiggling up and down of a stock). The Fundamentals are important, but in the end, what also controls a stock at any one moment is the resulting vector of all the other minor vectors creating the Main Vector of up/down/flat. If I can catch how a stock is vectoring, then for me, it may be usually worth a taste. I find a small taste initially will more focus me on the stock (sorta like cancer is a terrific focuser). I am very, very good at picking stocks that will jiggle about a flat line once I buy in. This is Mad Money, so no big deal. Note, too, I am moving up from blindly just buying into a Cramer filler to separate the ads, as I once did. My next goal is to pick stocks that stay on the rise.

Oh, this is important Newbie-Newbies here: I am diversified, because I let a good mutual fund handle my retirement. Were I twenty something, I would do my investment work for retirement, because I would have time to learn as Master Cramer did. Expensive lessons at Hard Knock U are fine if you have a lonnnnnnnnng time line to recover and can become a “Cramer.”

As a Cramer Robot, I am getting to the point at least once a week I can anticipate a Cramer Pick. I have my Newgator RSS Newsreader set up to scan the Style Pages of the New York Times, Washington Post, USA Today, and LA Times. I also scan the obits in the Times, thus, I picked up on this obit: “Bill Stumpf, a designer of the much-honored and highly popular Aeron ergonomic office chair, died on Aug. 30 in Rochester, Minn…” and then Cramer’s take on 9/11/06 the next night: http://www.thestreet.com/_tscs/funds...0308209_3.html

Default What an inspiration!

Please don't forget to watch the video after you read the letter!

Strongest Dad in the World
    [From Sports Illustrated, By Rick Reilly]

I try to be a good father. Give my kids mulligans. Work nights to pay for their text messaging. Take them to swimsuit shoots.

But compared with Dick Hoyt, I stink.

Eighty-five times he's pushed his disabled son, Rick, 26.2 miles in marathons. Eight times he's not only pushed him 26.2 miles in a wheelchair but also towed him 2.4 miles in a dinghy while swimming and pedaled him 112 miles in a seat on the handlebars--all in the same day.

Dick's also pulled him cross-country skiing, taken him on his back mountain climbing and once hauled him across the U.S. on a bike. Makes taking your son bowling look a little lame, right?

And what has Rick done for his father? Not much--except save his life.

This love story began in Winchester, Mass., 43 years ago, when Rick was strangled by the umbilical cord during birth, leaving him brain-damaged and unable to control his limbs.

``He'll be a vegetable the rest of his life;'' Dick says doctors told him and his wife, Judy, when Rick was nine months old. ``Put him in an institution.''

But the Hoyts weren't buying it. They noticed the way Rick's eyes followed them around the room. When Rick was 11 they took him to the engineering department at Tufts University and asked if there was anything to help the boy communicate. ``No way,'' Dick says he was told. ``There's nothing going on in his brain.''

"Tell him a joke,'' Dick countered. They did. Rick laughed. Turns out a lot was going on in his brain.

Rigged up with a computer that allowed him to control the cursor by touching a switch with the side of his head, Rick was finally able to communicate. First words? ``Go Bruins!'' And after a high school classmate was paralyzed in an accident and the school organized a charity run for him, Rick pecked out, ``Dad, I want to do that.''

Yeah, right. How was Dick, a self-described ``porker'' who never ran more than a mile at a time, going to push his son five miles? Still, he tried. ``Then it was me who was handicapped,'' Dick says. ``I was sore for two weeks.''

That day changed Rick's life. ``Dad,'' he typed, ``when we were running, it felt like I wasn't disabled anymore!''

Default The Pope speaks on Islam

Oops, even his eminence has to watch out, quoting a 14th century scribe on the differences between Jesus and Mohammed and the S*** hits the fan. You would think of all people the Infallable Vicar of Christ on Earth would have realized you can't point out the truth to zealots or they take out their frustration with violence.
    Truth should be left in the province of science who's single goal is to find it, it is too important to be left in the hands of politicians, and religious zealots, whose only use for the truth is to spin it to their ends or to obfuscate it.

Disclaimer: I am an athiest and find the whole state of affairs to boil down to the "Angels on the head of a pin" debate, a bunch of people bringing their intense belief in their own brand of nonsense being pissed off at the other guy and his brand of nonsense.

Default Brain Flatulance on "siri" vs. "xmsr"

I am posting my theory here and not in the guru section, because I am not a stock guru, but anyway, see if you like my hypothesis for the sake of argument:

(1) The ACQUIRED company (“xmsr”) will be the company that gets the bounce

(2) “siri” has the better CEO and will be the ACQUIRER

(3) Once joined, there could be only one receiver type, much like early on in radio we got am radio—allowing for the springing forth of broadcasting

(4) The NEW “siri” could tier services after a trial period offering all the services—Tiering would allow users only to have to subscribe to the services s/he desires—as with cable

(5) Looking at the “siri” and “xmsr” charts:
    http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=XMS...d=p68749676377
    http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SIR...d=p68749676377

(6) Xmsr has the stronger Slow Stochastic, thus indicating strong interest by big buyers of the stock -- Is something afoot?
    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/...oscillator.asp

(7) Its MACD has moved very big into the Buy range for "xmsr"

8 Its RSI is nicely above 50

(9) Its price is up

(10) All this speculating breaks one of Master Cramer's Rules: do NOT gamble on kinda/shoulda/woulda, so forget my speculating "siri" will start the acquitsition of Xm Radio within 30 days, because this is pretty lame, so forget what I have written...It's the weekend...