Thread: Think you're a patriot?

Hybrid View

Default Think you're a patriot?

If you really give a damn about this country I think this gentleman deserves 24 minutes out of your life to explain what patriotism is and is not.

Ron Paul in this address to the House of Representatives has managed to vocalize my thoughts perfectly. This politician speaks with the sense and truth that is more rare than flying elephants.

www.youtube.com/v/GLn0tMdXd_Q

Default Commodity account - do you have one?

Does anyone have a commodity account? I was thinking about setting up a managed commodity accout with Lind Waldock, just talked with them today.

Default Fed thread

in honor of the current meeting felt obliged to start some kinda discussion:

i know with the dow over 12, oil under 60, all yields under 5, and people upping earnings estimates for the future, Bernanke looks like a genius. not patting myself too hard on the back, i was well positioned for when the Fed did pause- a contrarian view at the time. and so now i am compelled to post that the Fed will raise rates not at this current meeting, but by 2Q2007 (more likely much sooner.) just as when i saw the pause coming, i have little other than a "goldbug conspiracy hunch" to push me down this road- i will be keeping a sharp look out for confirmation data. very difficult to get "first source" data regarding the monetary policy of our contry.

perhaps this is a bit esoteric for this board- what the heck does a quarter point have to do with this GOOG rocket im riding?!? kinda thing, but i do look forward to debate and discussions from other posters. please do your own DD, and remember only a sucker would bet with me that rates are going to rise.

some relevant vocabulary building from investopedia:

inflation: The rate at which the general level of prices for goods and services is rising, and, subsequently, purchasing power is falling. As inflation rises, every dollar will buy a smaller percentage of a good. For example, if the inflation rate is 2%, then a $1 pack of gum will cost $1.02 in a year. Most countries' central banks will try to sustain an inflation rate of 2-3%.

deflation: A general decline in prices, often caused by a reduction in the supply of money or credit. Deflation can be caused also by a decrease in government, personal or investment spending. The opposite of inflation, deflation has the side effect of increased unemployment since there is a lower level of demand in the economy, which can lead to an economic depression. Declining prices, if they persist, generally create a vicious spiral of negatives such as falling profits, closing factories, shrinking employment and incomes, and increasing defaults on loans by companies and individuals. To counter deflation, the Federal Reserve (the Fed) can use monetary policy to increase the money supply and deliberately induce rising prices, causing inflation. Rising prices provide an essential lubricant for any sustained recovery because businesses increase profits and take some of the depressive pressures off wages and debtors of every kind.

Default Thierry

Nice work on the site, I like they way you have re-organized the site and added some small changes. Its making for a more efficient site for me to use.
    Thanks!

Default Can We End the American Empire Before It Ends Us?

A long read, but it really lays it all out.

I especially like, "What the country desperately needs is a popular movement to rebuild the Constitutional system and subject the government once again to the discipline of checks and balances."

http://alternet.org/story/51975/