PDA

View Full Version : gap in after/premarket, a limit/market order gets filled?

AlbertoOl
11-10-2016,
I guess it just depends which broker I use. I have sogotrade. I guess I will email them but I am wondering, if I am long/short a stock and I have a stop loss on it (either limit or market) and if it goes against me in the after hours or premarket, I am just screwed and my stop loss will be negated?

Alekseymelt
11-12-2016,
Stops do not work during off hours. Because the Bid/ask widens out too much and would cause triggers all the time. Another reason I never use them.
However it can be triggered as soon as the market opens and if it is a market order it will hit the first available price (which can REALLY screw you)...if it is a limit it will put in an order at the price and sit until cancelled or filled.

Alesha_
11-13-2016,
thanks for your reply, I was thinking no one would help me.

well that sucks. Yeah a market order could screw me bad but a tank (or spike if i'm short) in after/pre on a limit stop might not hit the bid and I'd be screwed either way. I guess I would need a broker that offers pre/after market. I really don't understand why it's so like abnormal for brokers to offer trades in after/pre, so much can go on. Not everyone is day trading, some want to swing/hold, and after/premarket moves can destroy.

AldoRex
11-13-2016,
Actually it's abnormal for a broker to NOT offer off hours trading. Who is your broker?
The only real way to manage risk is at order entry by staying small. Stops are useless in my opinion. Trade small and live to trade another day.

AlexaderSep
11-14-2016,
I have sogotrade. I don't think they have after or pre market for the basic almost-free platform which has no live charting or level 2 or indicators etc - I think I might try and find a free or cheap version of that without order executions, just live charting and 1-5 min candles, if available, and have two windows open. I will email sogotrade, haven't gotten around to it.

admin
11-15-2016,
Just go to Dough.com and find the link to TDA and create a free TDA account. You don't have to have any money in it and you can use Thinkorswim for all your charts, level 2 and news or whatever. But be sure to sign up through Dough.com so your fees will automatically be reduced in case you ever decide to use them with real money.
But ye , I wouldn't waste my time with a broker that didn't trade off-hours and have free technology and live level 2 and news...... TDA fees after reduction are 7.50 per stock trade and 1.50 per option contract w/ no ticket fee. And free access to Thinkorswim...I don't mind a bit spending an extra dollar or two for all that I get.