PDA

View Full Version : Pros VS. Owner/Builders

abidicefajoj
08-20-2016,
There was a recent derisive discussion here that got me pondering things a bit. The basic conflict, I think, was a professional in a trade made issue with the owner/builder's ability to perform his trade safely and effectively.
First, I'm glad there are professionals out there---an important part of the owner/builder experience is finding your limitations. I know I have to buy my powertools, I can't build them myself. I know I have to look up span tables some other Smarticus developed; I'm borrowing info from the pros.
There is no feeling quite like successfully completing an owner/builder project. There is a series of hurdles to overcome, and every discipline requires research and a well thought out approach so as to end up with a safe, efficient structure you can be proud of.
I can understand why some tradesmen are threatened by owner/builders. Many people attach a big part of their self worth to their career, and for a hobbyist to complete a project in that trade somehow takes something away from them.
There's a great compare and contrast available right here, though. An earlier post where I was installing a portable generator had an electrician offer some very valuable input to that project---great because there isn't mush info out there for what I wanted to do. He was very respectful, and it was clear to me his passion was towards electrical work and helping people. What a great thing---sharing your talent to help people succeed in what they want to do. Then someone else came along, clearly threatened by owner/builders taking on his trade. Nothing constructive was offered. His passion isn't for safe electric work--his passion is towards being right, and being the smartest in the room.
We are owner/builders. We start with a vision and raw land, almost always financially challenged, and get to work. With help from forums, books, advice, and other resources, we strive to build a structure that's better than what's mass produced to the edge of what's allowable. We bring together all the disciplines of construction to make a safe, code compliant, fire resistive building.
To be sure a tradesperson will know the rules better. Can probably work faster, maybe even save some materials by closer estimates. But most tradespeople are doing a job and are not emotionally attached to the project. They aren't creating something new, just following established rules. The electrician with an ego, for example, didn't discover Ohm's law. He may understand what Volta discovered and Ampere's Law and Tesla's work----but he is only leveraging what others discovered. The trades constantly improve, though, with input and invention from the trades to their credit.
Owner/builders are capable of the same leverage. In this age of internet, it isn't difficult to build on information easily accessed.
A tradesman can be of huge help in every single stage of construction. Find the ones that are passionate about their trade, not passionae about protecting their trade. People that are passionate about anything other than themselves are always great to be around and surrounded by friends and lead rich lives, from what I've observed. Good example---look at the moderators of this site. They are selling house plans here, but are just as willing to help people with projects here that have nothing to do with their plans including offering very valuable advice. If they called people stupid for not buying their plans, would this site be nearly as popular?

AdamarWeri
08-21-2016,
A properly trained owner/builder will usually far exceed the work done by a pro. Around here, contractors build code-minimum, and cheat like heck on that. My friend has a house that was built by a local builder about 10 years ago. It's a poster child for code violations, yet it passed all of the required inspections. As an example, there is a covered wrap-around porch. Underneath, there is a garage door opening into the basement. The rim joist on this porch is one ply, not double. There is a joint right over the center of the garage door opening, and nothing behind the joint to reinforce it. To add insult to injury, there is a porch column right over the joint! So not only is the joint improperly built, it's being asked to support part of the porch roof. Needless to say, it is sagging rather ominously. We're going to fix that, soon.

In the basement of this house there are wires hanging down all over the place, loosely stapled to the bottom of the joists (violation) on about 6' centers (violation). The plumbing and A/C ducts are just a total mess.

This is not to say all contractors are bad. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones around. And there are certainly bad DIY'ers as well. But my original statement still stands. My DIY house far exceeds code in terms of strength, insulation, wiring, and plumbing. It would have cost me a fortune to have had it custom built to my specs!

ahiayosakqeq
08-22-2016,
Contractors---lowest bidder faster install possible

Owner--------Cost best product for the job usually - takes twice as long as a contractor but the job is usually superior- if the homework has been done.

can mistakes be made, of course, we are not all infallible, even pro's get caught out

Aprentiship...........I concider a better way for a tradesman to learn his craft than a degree...

My professional who installed my main breaker on the house mounted it so the main back ducts alighned directly with the double plate

rather than 3" up where they would enter the wall space.....
or 3" lower to enter the rim joist and basement

Luckily with a 2x4 I managed to lever up the install /stretch the installation up enough to get the ducts straight into the wall

aeyelifurepe
08-23-2016,
Absolutely, and great point. Every single step of building there were shortcuts that could have been taken, but for just a little more money and a little more effort get a far better product. From nail schedule to sheer panel thickness to insulation to wire AWG to copper pipe thickness; even the quality of the paint. I know I'v emade this point before, but if it saves $50 on one house it's miniscule. Multiply that by 10,000 units you're going to build and you're talking serious profit margin.
I don't build thinking 30 year structure lifespan; I'm shooting for 150 years. It sort of depends on how well the adhesives in OSB hold up over time. I may regret those TJI's if they start to flake apart