PDA

View Full Version : Testing the efficacy of candlestick patterns

sebastianrandlearr
06-27-2016,
Hello,

I hope that someone might be able to give me some ideas regarding the following;

My brother has a dissertation to do and his idea is to test the efficacy of various candlestick patterns as a reversal signal. He is trying to figure out a way to statistically verify whether the candlestick patterns that he tests show greater short term strength than randomly buying the market.

slgzlujw15
06-27-2016,
I.e. Do candlestick reversal patterns produce better returns at the bottom of a trend than randomly buying at the bottom of a trend.

His current plan is to run a couple hundred tests where he randomly buys a 10 day low...he will then average out the 5 and 10 day % returns of the closed positions.

Spoliossy
06-28-2016,
He will then run another couple hundred tests and randomly buy each of the candlestick patterns tested if they are also at a 10 day low. Again he will average out the 5 and 10 day % returns of the closed positions.

If the average 5 and 10 day returns of the patterns are better than the average 5 and 10 day returns of randomly buying...is that adequate to suggest that the patterns have a 'predictive' quality?

Stouneda
06-29-2016,
I am curious to know whether there would be a better way of doing things and I hoped that the fine folks on this forum might be able to give better ideas of how one might do such a test.

tcij5nqd
06-30-2016,
If it matters, the tests will be on 10 years of data that includes all stocks currently listed on the Nasdaq and NYSE.

Thanks in advance for your help.