PDA

View Full Version : AMD - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc

Bavaopita
06-03-2016,
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) is an American worldwide semiconductor company based in Sunnyvale, California, United States, that develops computer processors and related technologies for business and consumer markets. While initially it manufactured its own processors, the company became fabless after Global Foundries was spun off in 2009. AMD's main products include microprocessors, motherboard chipsets, embedded processors and graphics processors for servers,workstations and personal computers, and embedded systems applications.

AMD is the second-largest supplier and only significant rival to Intel in the market for x86-based microprocessors. Since acquiring ATI in 2006, AMD and its competitorNvidia have dominated the discrete graphics processor unit (GPU) market.

benkash
06-04-2016,
2017? Well arent you all bullish on the long term for AMD!

I do like the underdogs sometimes, but I just switched from an AMD rig to Intel and Nvidia, it runs soo much cooler.

Yet, bang for the buck, AMD really is good value.

The latest gen cards are actually pretty impressive and the water cooling sure takes care of the heat issues.

Blainesl
06-04-2016,
I know a lot of nvidia fanbois bitch about AMD, but honestly, if your budget is below $1000, you can get a pretty damn good system!

Its really important for AMD to not only survice as a company, but challenge INTC and NVDA once in a while with better tech. Rare that it happens, but it only makes things better for us, the consumer!

BradleymetS
06-05-2016,
Just where there is no mistake this is not a pick from me at this time. It is a spec play. I do have a position and some Jan 2017 5.50 and 7 dollars calls.

Targeting the Next Big Opportunity for AMD: Virtual Reality
Without any doubt, Advanced Micro Devices’ (AMD) preparation to launch revolutionary products in 2016 appears to be aimed at the next big opportunity in VR (virtual reality). According to SuperData research, the worldwide VR market is expected to grow to $3.7 billion in 2016 and to reach $40.4 billion by 2020. According to Jon Peddie Research, AMD already holds 83% share in the VR market by supplying GPUs (graphics processing units) for Microsoft (MSFT), Sony (SNE), and Nintendo’s gaming consoles. The VR market is thus a huge opportunity for AMD to boost revenue.

admin
06-06-2016,
The below author of this article is long on NVDA and article is based on presentation of NVDA's CEO so some room for exaggeration might be warranted but at the same time it is always good to look and opposing views from competitors. But, when looking at the fundamentals of both AMD and NVDA, there is no contest. NVDA has a much stronger balance sheet, revenue stream and earnings record. Not sure how much of this matters when actively trading on the technical or swing trades but for a trend trade...