PDA

View Full Version : Simple Moving Averag

MusulmgerFlex
04-16-2016,
Just started looking at strategies in TA and had a couple of questions that I hope you could answer, I may be asking daft questions though.

If I set an SMA of say 30 and 60 what time period do I set the underlying chart for eg say looking at HBOS do I set the time period for 1 year or longer or shorter. Or does this depend entirely on whether you are looking at short term or long term.

Then when looking at the chart to get in is it sensible to see if the price line drops or goes above the longer of the SMA's.

Is it sensible to also review trend lines and resistance levels to make sure the assesment is accurate.

Also what is crossover is this when 2 lines of an SMA cross, one going up and one going down.

Finally does anybody know where you can get free charts for intrada DAY FTSE, DOW and CAC I just have a theory I want to review to see if I am correct with my thoughts.

Thanks in advance and apologise for all the questions.

Nagievsskii
04-17-2016,
Go to the book section on this site and buy Murphy's book on TA.
And use the search facility on this board and type in "moving average" etc.

You will be surprised how much info. is here which will equip you to ask more searching questions.

If you get stuck then come straight back to the forums.

Good luck.

Neeseemed
04-17-2016,
Have you tried the finance pages of yahoo (both UK and US) for the charts? I believe they are real time (I'm sure someone will say if thats not still the case ) but you will need to refresh the page to get the latest chart. Bigcharts.com has no delay on their chart of the Dow but again you will need to re-draw the chart as it doesn't do it automatically for you.

HTH

PS Welcome!

NatashaCal
04-18-2016,
www.futuresource.com for the charts

Neristiktuse
04-19-2016,
If you put a 30 period on a 1min chart it's 30 mins. on 1hour chart it's 30 hours etc etc. If your 30 crosses up thru the 60 it would be a buy and vice versa. Also you can get a signal if the price crosses the average. You must experiment and see what you like. I like 21 and 55, Fib numbers.

Good luck

admin
06-13-2016,
It may send the market to new highs or may not, but there's no doubt it's a huge thing, and picking successful businesses in this new area will grant you stable profits for a couple of years at least, even if the industry turns up to be a fiasco.