PDA

View Full Version : $3000 within 30 Days. How would you do it?

Cliftonnole
04-05-2016,
I read a very interesting book today, by Jim F. Straw. Great business man who in my opinion has really really valuable advice, which is sadly undervalued. Only very few people know him, but I think he has a good fastlane mindset.

Anyways, he came up with a brilliant solution to that question above. Let me quote the beginning of that book.

Being an “idea man,” I have always loved a challenge. But, a young man once presented me with a challenge that almost proved to be my undoing.
The young man; a friend of a friend, came to see me in my office. Our mutual friend had told him that, if anyone could help him solve his problem, I probably could. — After introducing himself, and seating himself in front of my desk with a hot cup of coffee, the young man voiced his problem.
He was out of work. The company he had worked for had closed its doors, and he hadn’t worked for them long enough to be eligible for Unemployment Benefits. His total bankroll was only $10. And, he needed desperately to raise $1,000 within 30 days to pay-off some bills, while he continued looking for a job.
At first, I thought the problem was completely and totally impossible to solve. But, the young man was so sincere, I decided to accept the challenge and see if I could come-up with a solution.
It took me 3 days of intensive thought to come-up with the solution — but — within 30 days, the young man had raised over $1,600; instead of the $1,000 he needed. And, he was well on his way to raising $2,000 for the next month. — I really couldn’t believe my solution to his problem had worked that well.
When I first began considering this young man’s problem, I laid it out this way: “I have to turn almost nothing ($10) into something ($1,000) within 30 days. How would I do it, if I were in this young man’s shoes?”
Then, I added the “basic ingredient” of ALL business: “I have to sell something to someone.” (Whether you want to accept it or not, that IS the only ingredient necessary to having a business.) But, where could I find something that would cost less than $10 and sell for $1,000. — My head kept saying, “it can’t be done,” but my ego kept saying, “I’ll find a way.”
So basically he was asked that question a few years back, the book itself was published 1993. The estimated purchasing power for $1000 at that time was around $3000. I guess with the Internet there are a lot more ways today to solve this, than 25 years ago. But still this requires some thinking...

I think I found a good way, which I will post in a few days here. Also, if anyone is interested in the way that Jim Straw came up with, I can also gladly post it here rephrased in my own words.

So my question to you, how would YOU solve this challenge?

couckWalopela
04-07-2016,
Days 1 -5: learn Wordpress using free online guides.

Days 5 -10: two websites for $100 that you can use as portfolio pieces.

Days 10 -15: Use portfolio pieces to do more 2 websites for $250

Days 15 - 30: Use past 4 websites to do a website every 3 days for $500

Total $3200

You can still apply for work as you build websites.

Plenty of free templates to use and $200 extra to invest back into templates (or just charge more).

Free to email businesses, easy to see what businesses need websites.

Use Skype to call.

Danielbub
04-07-2016,
I'd keep doing what I'm doing.

But if I was unemployed, and without a business, then here's what I'd do:

I'd go to every single contractor's office in the city. I'd offer my physical labor for $15 an hour - under market value.

Construction workers in Chicago average 10 hours a day.

So 10 hours x $15 an hour x [30 days x (5/7) - 1 day looking for work] = $3,064.

Problem solved.

cvcyzdliadp
04-08-2016,
Gambling on some options, had some nice return on a gopro call that expired today.

But I guess that's too easy and risky.

I'd probably do the same as Fox would do. Creating from scratch is the easiest, investing in stuff and selling comes with more risk.

darrylgt1
04-09-2016,
We all will have a different answer because we all have different experiences.

In my experience, I know that I can make a post on Facebook or Craigslist and get a job in the mechanic business. That is a skill set I have and will work anywhere there are vehicles. I also already have the initial cost of tools covered as well.

I can charge $300-500 to do brakes on a car. I can do 4 brake jobs from 8 am to 5 pm.
That's $1200-2000 in a day.

Of course that's depending on clients. Most people are sketched out by indie mechs. Or want a hell of a discount.

I know I'll be able to get ahead with what I know. Situation depending.