PDA

View Full Version : Basic Stock Research Advice

Lephaveveft
04-03-2016,
I'm not an expert, but I usually look for growth rate, earnings, quarterly surprises to the upside and management. I also look at which sectors are doing well and how well a particular company does within its sector. As Cramer says, it doesn't matter where a stock has been, it matters where it's going.

LillieEa
04-04-2016,
I THINK Cramer may answer this way:

1. Cramer always says 50% of the potential is sector related. Find a hot sector!! Maybe easier said then done

2. GROWTH!!! Will the company have sales growth??

3. A stock that's maybe beaten up for no real reason. Buy low, sell high!

Chartguru will answer this quite differently I'm sure :D

leynuoxz70
04-05-2016,
I maybe tend to look at the past too much, but someone tell me how you know if a stock is beaten up or doing well without looking at the past for something to judge it by. I'm not comfortable following guidance forcasts and the growth and earnings and sectors only, I gotta look back and check where this baby's been. This morning when I picked up a few RUTH, I had to look back and see that it was off it's lowest point since Katrina, and even it's ipo. I definately don't understand techinicals, it just reinforces my decision, even though it possibly serves no purpose whatsoever.

LiskKice
04-07-2016,
Newbie here.

I would like to learn how to do proper due diligence on stocks.

Would it be possible for some of the experts here to please list the first (lets say) five things one should look at for analyzing a stock.

Ideally, the list would include:

1.The item to look at - (P/E ratio for example)

2. What the item means in laymens terms.

3. What the formula is (if applicable)

4. How the item relates to the stock and compared to similar stocks for comparison.

5. Supply a possible example

6. Provide any links to other sites that may be helpful.

There may be other helpful info to supply to this but i just was hoping to keep it simple and just start to learn the basics.

I have even looked at Clearstation and tried to understand what some of the graphs mean, but even parts of those seem a little vague in their definition.

Maybe if this develops into a useful thread for everyone, it could turn into a Sticky?

Thanks!

stevo

admin
06-15-2016,
I brought up Ninja Trader and connected but there's no data anywhere except in the market analyzer and the domes. Charts have nothing. I have a CQG feed through AMP Futures. Anyone know what the problem is?