PDA

View Full Version : Reloading?

LauraBranh
03-12-2016,
OK guys and gals here's a question for you:

I've been reloading now for about 5 years (so I'm still a newbie at it) and am learning more every time I load a new set of cartridges and I hope to learn more today ;)

This is a picture of a 150 gr Sierra JFN bullet I just reloaded for my 30-30. I'm using 32 grains of H4895 (about middle of the road) and have trimmed the case lengths according to my Lyman reloaders manual (newest edition) to 2.028" and pressed to 2.054" with a crimp.

As you can see the crimp doesn't fully engage the cannelure which I believe is desirable when reloading with cannelured bullets. So here is the question: Do I leave it at 2.054" as the manual calls for or do I press the bullets in a little deeper until the crimp is about 1/3rd of the way into the cannelure?

Now before we get into a discussion about chamber pressures and headspacing I'll add that I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject and while it does make a difference in chamber pressures when the bullet is further away from the lands or right into them the difference appears to be more significant (and important to pay attention to) in much higher powered rifles and it appears that most 30-30 reloaders don't feel that it's even that important to trim the cases as long as they aren't stretched past 2.039".

But what I'm looking for is real world shooters/reloaders who might have some guidance for me here.

I don't plan to hunt with this rifle (it's over 40 years old and a treasure) but I do like to shoot it from time to time and have a hankering to reload a little for that purpose.

Much thanks
Erik

Leifalew
03-12-2016,
Offline peternap
Journeyman

Re: Reloading?
? Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 09:55:14 PM ?
Glad to see you still load for the 30-30. It's a fine old round in many ways.

The distance from the lands does impact chamber pressure but the 30-30 is a low pressure round to start with and your load is moderate, so that's not an issue.

The bullet jump in your case needs to be based on two things.

The first and of lesser importance, is accuracy. The jump is highly individual from rifle to rifle. I like to start at about 20/1000 and move forward until I hit the sweet spot.

The second factor and most important, is that you're using a tubular magazine that pushes on the bullet. If you don't have a good crimp and I always use the crimping groove both on cast and jacketed bullets with the 30-30, the bullet can easily be pushed deeper into the case.
That does alter accuracy and chamber pressure when it is extreme.

Since you mentioned headspace, that again doesn't matter here. Rimmed cases headspace on the rim so it doesn't matter what the shoulder or case mouth are doing. I have one 30-30 I've rechambered to an improved cartridge and shoot both fire formed improved cases and off the shelf factory stuff out of it.
? Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:15:27 PM by peternap ?
These here is God's finest scupturi

Lesybusbavy
03-13-2016,
? Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 03:25:33 AM ?
Quote from: peternap on December 27, 2011, 09:55:14 PM

Since you mentioned headspace, that again doesn't matter here. Rimmed cases headspace on the rim so it doesn't matter what the shoulder or case mouth are doing. I have one 30-30 I've rechambered to an improved cartridge and shoot both fire formed improved cases and off the shelf factory stuff out of it.

Interesting by improved are you referring to a PO Ackley Improved are a more local wildcat?
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established. 4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches. 5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

leonardkx16
03-14-2016,
? Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:02:34 AM ?
Quote from: rick91351 on December 28, 2011, 03:25:33 AM
Interesting by improved are you referring to a PO Ackley Improved are a more local wildcat?
It's my design Rick but very close to the Ackley.