PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Head

Khomen#Viktor
03-10-2016,
My Cherokee has been driving me nuts. It's been overheating since we replaced the water pump that was leaking bad enough to cause an over-temperature situation. The radiator did have some clogging but that was resolved with a new all metal 2 row radiator. Basically everything new in the cooling system except the rad cap and that tested out okay. Still it would over heat when worked mildly, as in steeper than usual stretches of upgrade.

The oil was fine; looked like oil, not a milkshake. Coolant looked fine. When it overheated it would puke two or three quarts. Then sitting on the driveway running the engine, A/C on to create load, electric fan disconnected in an effort to see what's going on, I discovered bubbling, boiling in the coolant expansion / overflow bottle. Going like a percolator.

Some Jeeps have a head that gives trouble. All is usually fine until one has an over heating event. Then many of these heads develop small cracks. Sometimes that causes water in the oil and vice versa. sometimes it does not. Sometimes it percolates like mine did.

So I have a reman head, almost completed the install. I lost a socket someplace in the garage (I suppose) or someplace. I can not find it! Had to get a new one. It seems most auto parts stores don't carry it. Due to head bolt design it must be a 12 point socket, 13 MM. The only place around here that has that in stock is NAPA. I know because when I was tearing it down I ran into the issue and had to buy one. I bought the only one the local store had yesterday. Then I lost it. So they are bringing one over from the warehouse in ABQ. I'll have it this afternoon. Perhaps SnapOn has them too, maybe Matco, but I didn't try to chase them down.

It's maddening though because you need a deep socket as half the bolts have a threaded top stud portion. OK, that's what I bought. it's a 3/8" drive. I wanted a 1/2" but all they carried was this deep 13 MM 3/8" drive. I can use andapter so it's no problem, right? Wrong. The rear most stud on the drivers side is close to the bodywork. Try as I might there was no way to get a deep socket plus an adapter and the wrench in there. OK, no real problem, just use a 3/8" handle, right? Well half right. That's fine for disassembly. (Oh this stud is one of the ones with a stud extension on top, so a deep socket is a must.)

For assembly a torque wrench is required. Have to hit 110 ft lbs. My 3/8" drive torque wrench stops at 75 ft lbs. Everybody around here has 3/8 drives that measure inch lbs. Well NAPA has some nice 3/8" drive torque wrenches but they are $180 and up. Still cheaper than having a shop do the head, but I have no other use for it. Ah, NAPA has a 13 MM standard length socket in 1/2" drive; that would fit my torque wrench. That's cool! Oh, but wait, the std length socket won't be usable on that head bolt (with the threaded stud top). .... This is one of the few such head bolts that actually makes use of the upper threads. The engine ground strap attaches to it.

After reflection, I cut enough off the top of that bolt. Just enough to enable use of a std length socket. Then I found some thin nuts to use for securing the ground starp and the bracket that secures a wiring harness.

More than likely none of the Cherokee owners here will ever be changing their head with the engine in the vehicle. But be warned, you need the correct 13MM 12 point socket(s) to do the job. I have never seen this issue on any of the Jeep forums but I only go there once in a while so may have missed, not found it.

Anyhow the new socket should be here in an hour or so. I just had to vent a little.

Kostrison
03-11-2016,
Offline peternap
Journeyman

Re: Jeep Head
? Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:23:22 AM ?
You have my sympathy Don!

I never had to change the head on my Cherokee but I did on my wagoneer >:( I made a lot of tools.

If you really want something to make you cuss, buy your wife a Land Rover. You have to pull the manifold to change the spark plug wires and that's one of the simple maintenance items.
These here is God's finest scupturings!

KseniyaHag
03-13-2016,
Offline mgramann

Re: Jeep Head
? Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 01:51:16 PM ?
The optimist in me is glad it cracked in a good spot! Had it leaked into the oil, you could have been looking at bottom end damage! (Of course, had that happened, you would have had an excuse to put a 4.2 crank in ;D )

As annoying as it can be to work on the I-6s, especially near the firewall, they sure do go the distance. My 98 cherokee just rolled over 200k on Tuesday.