PDA

View Full Version : Reloading?

EdwardOret
02-15-2016,

Edwardgen
02-16-2016,
I've been reloading now for about 5 years (so I'm still a newbie at it) and am learning more every time I load a new set of cartridges and I hope to learn more today http://countryplans.com/smf/Smileys/default/wink2.gif

eebepujeluza
02-17-2016,
Glad to see you still load for the 30-30. It's a fine old round in many ways.

The distance from the lands does impact chamber pressure but the 30-30 is a low pressure round to start with and your load is moderate, so that's not an issue.

The bullet jump in your case needs to be based on two things.

The first and of lesser importance, is accuracy. The jump is highly individual from rifle to rifle. I like to start at about 20/1000 and move forward until I hit the sweet spot.

The second factor and most important, is that you're using a tubular magazine that pushes on the bullet. If you don't have a good crimp and I always use the crimping groove both on cast and jacketed bullets with the 30-30, the bullet can easily be pushed deeper into the case.
That does alter accuracy and chamber pressure when it is extreme.

Since you mentioned headspace, that again doesn't matter here. Rimmed cases headspace on the rim so it doesn't matter what the shoulder or case mouth are doing. I have one 30-30 I've rechambered to an improved cartridge and shoot both fire formed improved cases and off the shelf factory stuff out of it.

eexaxzekauba
02-19-2016,
Interesting by improved are you referring to a PO Ackley Improved are a more local wildcat?

Effokdossymox
02-19-2016,
Thanks for the excellent response...so I take from it that I ought to seat these a little deeper so I can crimp into the groove?

I tested one last night and found something interesting: chambering the round pressed the bullet back into the case and now measures 2.050" and the crimp which must not be tight enough is fully engaged in the groove now.

Thoughts?

Re: the 30-30.

The 30-30 is my all time favorite caliber to shoot hands down. I don't shoot it often anymore but I've had this rifle since I was 2 or 3 and grew up with it. At one time I could hit a bullrush at 100 yards offhand with it! Today I have a harder time seeing through the rear v-knotch site but that's ok as I'm sure I can still ring the gong at 250 yards with this trusty rifle. It's not only beautiful but it's straight shooting.