PDA

View Full Version : NEW to stocks and need a LAPTOP

Jeffreyka
02-06-2016,
Ok guys I'm 14 and I'm so fascinated by stock trading and selling stocks. I have a 650-700 dollar budget for a new laptop for stock trading. Is there any laptops out there that is in that price range. I found a 2012 Macbook Pro but some reviews say it's not for stock trading. Please let me know!

JordanJent
02-08-2016,
I like dell personally. Have two desktops and a lap top and I use all three for trading.

JessikaTim72
02-09-2016,
Some platforms are graphics intensive. Though about anything would run them fine I wanted something that wouldn't get over burdened by adding a monitor and running multiple things at once. So I got a Alienware gaming laptop...it's a Dell product now and I realize a new one will be out of the price range but there are used ones on ebay in that range.
I have 5-6 desktops I can trade from from different manufactureres and a couple I built myself....they work all fine even though some are several years old. So I imagine a gaming laptop like Alienware from a year ago would probably do you well for several years to come.

And since you have a couple of years to practice you might want to use a platform like Thinkorswim that has probably the most realistic paper trading feature that I have seen (since you are underage you can have an adult set one up and just use it without any money in it)...It has a lot of things going on and the ability to detach as many screens and charts that you want. I can even run the real platform and the paper trading platform while listening to Tastytrade and BSing on the forums and never have any issues while driving 2 monitors. Thinkorswim is also able to trade from your smartphone and iPad or whatever you can put an app on.

joytriC
02-09-2016,
By the way don't think you will need all these fancy monitors set up. I think it is kind of funny when I see a guy that is trading and has all of these monitors all over the place. I use one monitor. May be working on 3 or 4 stocks at one time. I never buy at market so all of my buys and sales are set up on limit orders. Made $757.00 today one one monitor.

Karryptool
02-13-2016,
Congratulations...we all love to hear about your P/? every chance you get.
But you have to realize....not everyone trades the way you do.
I run 2 monitors because I can. Often I'll have my paper trading platform up on one and my real platform up on the other....or I'll be watching instructional/educational stuff on one while watching the market on another. You see...some of us are still learning.
My strategies don't even require that I watch anything very often.....but I do because I frikn love it and I want to learn as much as I can as fast as I can take it in and my setup allows me to do that.
I can sit and scalp price action from my phone when I want....but that doesn't mean I will only use my phone.

Anyway to the OP.... pretty much anything will do what you want to start....but a decent used gaming laptop will have the graphics processor to handle about anything you want to try out in the next few years.