PDA

View Full Version : Short-term trading TAX question

calvinzp60
01-24-2016,
Hi, in 2010 I tried my hand at day trading for several months. I ended up with a net loss of about $200. However, my schedule D says a capital GAIN of $17,800!!! After looking into why, I found out about the "wash loss" rule. Basically most of the stocks I sold as a loss were NOT being counted as a loss.

So my question is, what should I do? Do I really owe tax on the 17,800? My tax bracket that year was 15%

Camlofhz
01-26-2016,
I'm sorry that I can't give you a 100% answer, only an opinion, but since no one else is responding I'll try and give it a go.

From what I've been reading, the short answer is it depends on when your day trading schedule ended, but no you wouldn't have to pay the tax on the 17k unless your trading went past Jan 2011. Reason being, your broker isn't responsible for wash sale transactions, so it is up to you to properly file your schedule D. An example would illustrate my point better than an explanation, so here goes:

Suppose you buy abc stock for $5k and sell it the same day for $4k. Then the next day, you buy abc stock again for $5k but sell this time for $6k.

Here's what you thought you did:
-$1000 on 1st transaction (-5000 + 4000)
+$1000 on 2nd transaction (-5000 + 6000)
$0 net difference

Here's what actually happened:
$0 on 1st transaction (wash sale)
$0 on 2nd transaction (-6000 + 6000)
$0 net difference

Carach
01-26-2016,
In order to take your loss (this year) on the first transaction, you must have CLOSED your second transaction no later than December 31st AND you must REMAIN out of that stock for at least 30 days.

CarlosSr
01-28-2016,
I always seem to forget the details, thanks for clarifying http://onlinetradersforum.com/styles/default/xenforo/clear.png

It seems to me though that a day trader who could be involved in anywhere from 10-50 stocks per day would have one heck of a nightmare by year's end. Any tips for alleviating that headache other than keeping good records? I was thinking of calculating the "gain/loss" taxes daily (as a potential intraday trader) but it would be nice if there was some other mechanism available. Thanks again!