PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Stock Return Calculator

Nathannilk
01-22-2016,
Hello,

There seem to be plenty of online stock return calculators out there, but I'm having difficulty one that does the following:

- enter in stock symbol
- enter in the number of shares
- enter purchase date

Then I want it to calculate the return based upon the current stock price 'without' dividend reinvestment, but factoring in the annual dividend yield.

This seems like it should be pretty straight forward and simple.

Thanks in advance!

Nemroket
01-24-2016,
I know decades of "investor education" has made a big deal about stocks that pay dividends....but you might do a google search for the term "ex-dividend". Basically it means that there is a day that the stock trades a t minus the dividend paid....so basically it's really a wash...you get a dividend but the value of the stock drops by that much at the same time. Just a thought.

nicholasse60
01-25-2016,
you can do it in excel very easily.

basically you take what your dividend (D) and you add to the current stock price (P1). Then you divide by the price you paid for the stock (Po). So it should look like (P1+D)/Po = return

nohnigeTalse76
01-26-2016,
Why don't you calculate compound interest instead of normal interest? This will make your calculation better.

NikolayEa
01-26-2016,
Invest in stocks, options, etf, forex and much more. Join interactive brokers and leverage your investing.