PDA

View Full Version : New Politics?

FGrigsby
01-26-2016,
Here's an outline of some ideas I'm having about the changing political environment - your comments are appreciated... It seems pretty clear to me that the old political labels and motivations are not working well for people today. The floundering of the U.S. Democratic party (and to a lesser extent the Republicans) is perhaps a symptom of some sort of impending change. What might that change be? Could a new party develop? It has happened before when the landscape changed.

Sorry, this is a pretty sketchy outline - basically an idea in rough form. But I think you'll get that idea. And, like the old Right/Left polarity, most of us will find ourselves to be a blend of the new polarities as well. Someone said, "how is this different from extremists vs moderates?" - which I think is an interesting question (considering the shrinking supply of moderates in the world).

Thoughts on Politics - 20th century ideas in the 21st century

20th century political poles
Right - supports individuals/ pro business/ individual rights protected
Left - supports social groups/ pro labor/ social rights of "the people" trump individuals

possible 21st century political poles?
Pragmatist - supports what works/ pro evolution/ pro trade/ pro communication/ politics is a non-zero sum game
Ideologue - supports what is right/ concerned with exercise of power & control/ politics is a zero sum game

A Pragmatist believes:
• The way it is is the way it is.
• We are where we are today because of evolving social and economic forces, trends and organizations. This natural conflict of interests must be worked with as we develop lasting solutions
• The future will be complex but probably better if we are willing to work with others
• The way to improve our situation is to understand these social and economic forces and use self-interest to create opportunities where all parties can gain (non-zero).
• Justice involves ignoring the past and encouraging a perspective where co-evolution and cooperation is possible.

fissiddeni
01-27-2016,
Something like an autopsy on the body politic. We know its been sick. There has been ample warning it needed a change in lifestyle. We fear it has died of complications arising from willful denial of CONSENSUS; an untested treatment said to lower fever between individuals, ideologies, political parties, special interests, ego's, media and public perceptions. Alas, poor politic; We've known it well.

Like a crowded bar, it's become so overcrowded and smoke-filled we find ourselves shouting in one-anothers ear just to be heard. There appear to be so many destructive forces at work, a great many people are willing to leave. Its original thinking like yours that will create a platform for reason; a place where respected differences can ask for understanding and accept consensus as means to an end.

I've printed out your e-mail for a more lengthy look. A stimulating read.

flngvybGex
01-29-2016,
It seems to me that politics boils down to beliefs, which boils down to religious beliefs - we all have them whether we are atheists, evolutionists, Christians, Muslims, agnostics, Buddists, Jews etc. I think most people are looking for "TRUTH" thus the exploration of religions, philosophies, science, materialism etc. Our American society has become worshippers of materialism - which leads to greed & selfishness... coming from a "Christian" belief system, the following Biblical quotation seems to sum up the maliase that permeates our society...

"For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God... always learning & never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." 2nd Timothy 2-5,7

No wonder the Muslim nations consider the United States "the Great Satan" ---after all, numerous polls report that the majority of Americans consider themselves "Christian" - but I would venture to say that only a minority have read the Bible or are as disciplined as the Muslims or many of the other religions...

fldopoqx63
01-30-2016,
An evil little cat is going to help me write this! Mr. Izzy Katz. Sweet looking guy, but he bites and claws unexpectedly. On the other hand if it gets colder than a two-dog night, he makes it a two-dog-and-a-cat night, and generally is nice and quiet about it.

I've been saying something sort of on that order for years. Didn't get no respect for it a few years ago.

Even though I think I remember reading that something very like that happened when the Republican party came into being before the Civil War. That people coalesced around different poles. Creating strange bedfellows from the point of view of ten years before.

Of course it has something to do with the fact that I'm the overeducated bum who worked in blue-collar jobs for over 30 years.

Tolerance is important. But maybe the Hawaiian way--always recognizing the ethnicity of people, recognizing that culture and class do play an important role in how we live--is the way to go. When I was there minorities were (or were close to) the majority (IIRC people of Japanese ancestry were the largest single group, somewhere around 45% of the population). So everybody had quite a lot of experience with at least three or four different cultures, and, I expect, classes. It didn't prevent the groups that came there last from being feared.

(Maybe we should invade China, try to take over their central bank before they foreclose on us!)

FoemePogRen
01-30-2016,
Amanda - Tolerance is a good place to start. It can more easily arise in HI, I think, because of all the ethnic "invasions" those islands have experienced. But you are right, beyond tolerance is something more powerful.

Sassy - I do think there is hope. And that the human race is unstoppably headed toward higher evolution of the memes that have replaced genes for our further development. We do have many miles to go and the lessons might be hard - perhaps 2/3 of the current population will have to leave the planet for the perspective and healing to occur. That would be uncomfortable http://countryplans.com/smf/Smileys/default/wink2.gif for many - especially those of us who get our ticket punched.

But it's only our own puny physical life were talking about - not a big thing in the overall sweep of cosmic progress.