PDA

View Full Version : Don and Peter's Hot Rod Corner

acipojesa
01-16-2016,
Hey Peter; what kind of cars are you into? :-?

afoqafozurer
01-17-2016,
Anything from the 40's through to the 70's

Love 50's cars...Back east they are impossible to dig up....I mess with a lot of 67-76 Mopars....I have a 48 chevy 5 window coupe...A couple of 56 chevrolets...a 65 mustang fastback...

nothing completely restored...I guess the 67 volkswagon squareback is pretty close...and I have a 68 swinger I pretty much restored...

I always have 30-40 classic cars...

Always great to meet more car people....It is what I do for a living...Restore buy sell junk classic cars....

Albertgax
01-19-2016,
More or less the ame thing back home (Manitoba, Canada). Although there the winters were so cold for Dec thru to Feb salt didn't help the roads so we dodn't have a s much salt to deal with as the East. However most all 50's car would have cancer to some degree. One thing I noticed when I first visited New Mexico 23 years ago was the number of 50's vinatge detroit iron driving around in everyday non restored condition.

I love the cars or my youth.
Trivia: You may be aware of some the the differences between some US and Canadian models of the "same" car. Like Canadian Pontiac's of the 50's were really Chevy's with sheet metal changes that mimicked the US models. The strangest model year was the '59, the year Pontiac went "wide-track". The Canadian models had the wide bodies but a narrower track.

amediaduM
01-20-2016,
Yes I am aware of the Pontiac difference..I have a 64 bonneville convertible from Kentucky....Got it ten years ago it has been in storage inside since 1970....Rust free needs restored....389 hi-po garnet red with black top and matching red leather interior...

In Canada the pontiacs used the Chevrolet engines...and they had models that were chevy's with pontiac badging...Such as the Canso acadian(66 chevy II nova) and the Beaumont (Chevelle)

My dad has an auto salvage and I grew up pulling fenders and doors off mostly 60's cars in the yard....They are all gone now crushed they got so rusty....

Down here in SC the rain kills the 50's cars....It rains so much that when the window rubbers dry out water gets into the floor pans and trunk pans and rusts them out from the inside out

I junk 2-3 cars a month...Mostly 4 doors and rusted 2 door cars....I am an addict...My wife says I need to go into car rehab

aravawo
01-20-2016,
My first car was a 2-door Dodge station wagon--from somewhere in the 50's--'56 maybe. Apparently it was the Canadian model, modified for sale in Hawaii (no heater!) Before I got it it had been parked--rear end out--in a carport in Hilo, where it truly does rain a lot The back end was rusty enough that one day some nice person was changing a flat for me, got tired of the back window--held only by one of its hinges (two piece window went up, tailgate came down like the one a truck) falling down on his head, so he wrenched the durned thing off. Which meant that the hole in the back seat right over the hole in the muffler would pour black smoke out the back window every time we went up a hill.

It made a great beach wagon. Until it finally died.

But I didn't have any GM vehicles until this century.

admin
01-21-2016,
Funny enough they made heater delete cars ford chev and dodge until 1967 I believe in CA, AZ, and HI I believe maybe that the last year for the Dodge heater delete was 1966....In my drag car I do not have to keep the heater because they came without them from the factory...Which saves me a bunch of weight.

I have had several 55-56 chevrolets from California that were heater delete....Nasty trying to drive them home to Canada in the winter..... http://countryplans.com/smf/Smileys/default/shocked2.gif