PDA

View Full Version : Monkeys and Darts

AdriennHar
10-30-2015,
Excuse my iconoclastic nature while I potentially ruffle some more feathers.

http://web.streetauthority.com/m/dpc/2014/retirement-plan/sample-c.asp?TC=DP2345

So the author brags that they are up 55% since Dec of 2009 with a 200k account by using this investing method/strategy.....apparently the "Senior Investing Strategist" of Street Authority.....really.

55%......sounds like a lot....a lot compared to what? If you had just bought SPY in Dec of 2009 you would be up 85%. So they under performed the SPY by 30%....and they think that is just peachy. In fact they think you should buy their newsletter or whatever else so they can show you how you can under perform the SPY.

Sorry but a freakin monkey with a handful of darts could have made money buying stocks and holding for the last 5 years.

Under performing by 30% is nearly a 1 standard deviation to the downside.....so by random selection of S&P stocks one would expect around a 80% chance of out performing this person.

To be fair...toward the end of the speech she "says" that her over all portfolio is up 80%. Well that's more like it but who knows what and when that is from. But still I would expect more from a "Senior Investing Strategist".

Sorry but if I'm paying for something I would expect to outperform the benchmark.

akaduxau
10-31-2015,
Blaine Tarr said: ↑
When will the 'Acstudio Options Program' be available? I'm on the waiting list.
Ye right.

When I think I know a damn thing....and it'll be free.

Net/Net more money is probably made from selling trading ideas than the trades themselves make.

AlmoPa
11-01-2015,
haha you should at least make a free video to refer people to for intro to dough.com and tastytrade.

A) go to this site
B) watch this video
C) next... etc

Would be easy for you to do and save your time from posting the same things to the newbs over and over again. Or at least make a thread you can refer them too and then they can ask questions from there.

Antanykki
11-02-2015,
Blaine Tarr said: ↑
haha you should at least make a free video to refer people to for intro to dough.com and tastytrade.

A) go to this site
B) watch this video
C) next... etc

Would be easy for you to do and save your time from posting the same things to the newbs over and over again. Or at least make a thread you can refer them too and then they can ask questions from there.
Seriously Archie, I think Blaine's got a good point. You might consider the video idea to be over-the-top, but you could at least make a thread to refer the newbs to. It would save you mega-time in the long run, cause you do post that same Dough/TastyTrade info over and over for every newb who makes their first post.

Alealokato
11-02-2015,
Ye I did...haha
here's the thread.
http://www.onlinetradersforum.com/threads/getting-started-w-options-trading.679007/

Net/Net more money is probably made from selling trading ideas than the trades themselves make.

"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."
Lao Tzu