PDA

View Full Version : Little cuts and not cleaning the insignificant wound!

Antanykki
10-26-2015,
I write to you today on my second night in hospital and just wanted to pass on the story to the rest of you rough and ready outdoorsy building types......

Mon- knocking down the center of a 125 year old Victorian chimney breast, covered in dust , wearing shorts caught the center of my knee on a sharp thin metal fin or cover on the back of the oven I'd moved out of the way, thought to myself ouch that's going to hurt me later, but as I was in the middle of fitting a lintle just carried on and got it cemented in place, later I washed and cleaned myself, and had the usual cuts an grazes associated with manual labor, the knee slice hadn't even bled.....
Tues- ripped out under the lintle and cut back some cavity walls I,d ripped out previously with a diamond blade.no issues, having fun.
Weds 3 am knees painful and couldn't sleep just thought it was a usual knee pain from moving my butt from the office to a planned active holiday
Got up early as couldn't sleep, an took a look, some one had added half a bright red grapefruit to the front of my knee, call the docs, get on the pills,
Drew around the infection weds night, Thursday night and Friday morning, the zone of infection was growing.

So off too accident and emergency I went on Friday morning , was admitted and am still here, looks like they,ll be cutting open my knee to get at the bugs busily multiplying on my scapula, and will probably be here till Tuesday. ....

Lesson learned chaps, the smallest most insignificant injuries still need cleaning ! And probably best done when it happens

Doc couldnt even see the wound, as the metal was so thin and sharp , the 1/2" wound just closed up over the hitchhiking microbes and held them inside to fester and multiply

aqiqieoirz
10-26-2015,
Ouch... sorry to hear that. Hope all goes well from this point on.
You hear rumors of paper cuts causing amputations and such, but rarely do you think anything will happen to you.

asudaab
10-26-2015,
It's easy to do, hopefully you're on the mend. Take care of your gastro track, yogurt, cheese, kraut, fermented things. It's easy for the antibiotics to leave a sterile gut that is easily colonized by bad bacteria.

ArthurLarl
10-26-2015,
Quote from: Don_P on October 03, 2015, 05:50:57 PM
It's easy to do, hopefully you're on the mend. Take care of your gastro track, yogurt, cheese, kraut, fermented things. It's easy for the antibiotics to leave a sterile gut that is easily colonized by bad bacteria.

UK Buddy you get well! And listen to Doctor Don!
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established. 4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches. 5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Attaxargo
10-27-2015,
Dang, Uke.
I get those all the time.
Don't even think about it.
Thing is, I have onion paper thin Irish skin.
If I'm not bleedin', I'm outta blood.

My last pretty good one was, well, a pretty good one;

Git that infection taken care of.
'For ya know it, you'll be up and crawlin' around with the rest of us.