PDA

View Full Version : Which financial institutions are safe now?

asojoxoomebed
10-13-2015,
With the debacle of financial institutions grabbing the headlines of late, which banks or insurance institutions are in decent shape? I don't have WaMu but it kind of surprised me that they have been getting so much attention all of a sudden. Didn't anyone know much earlier they were on ice? So many in Silicon Valley use their services. I'm pretty green with finance. Do most of the popular banks boa/wf not rely so much on mortgage or real-estate investment loans while the others have? Educate me please. Thanks.

awidusauehewi
10-14-2015,
Over in the UK Lloyds have become a strong leader in the financial market, but it is tough to say at the moment. Problems are occuring every couple of days now and the sun looks like its setting right now, hopefully soon a resolution will come up. Just today the US government turned down the $700bn plan to help the market.

In answer to your question, I am very unstable in setting my mind on one financial insitution right now. Nationwide as a building society in the UK does very well an dhas proven to be safe for a very long time. Invest wisely I say.

bmhmugerfum
10-14-2015,
CitiBank, Bank of America, Wells Fargo are probably the biggest in America. Citi and Wells Fargo are fighting over Wachovia currently who was forced by the FDIC to sell due to threat of making the crisis worse with their toxic mortgages but has a really great deposits. So that will be a big plus for whoever gets them, plus they can be used as a tax credit. BoA just picked up Merrill Lynch a few weeks ago. Regardless, you are protected up to $100,000 at any FDIC insured bank and up to $100,000 for insured credit unions by NCUSIF. If you have a joint account, each person on the account is protect, so that would be $200,000 total. The limits might rise up to $250,000 per person shortly. Just be sure your Financial Institution is insured. Times are rough and the biggest banks will stay back by the government. Smaller more troubled banks may be forced to sell to other banks but the FDIC will make sure it's a smooth transaction and you probably would never even know unless you keep up with the news.

beausbimebomy
10-15-2015,
Quote:
Originally Posted by butler68 View Post
Credit Unions
Always a good choice as long as they are insured by NCUSIF. Kinda like an FDIC for credit unions. Credit unions often offer better loan rates as well. They may not have the best savings and/or checking interest rates though.

The new FDIC protection now covers up to $250k

carpinteyroxcz
10-15-2015,
I remember seeing on CNBC the other day a national figure in the Credit Union body indicating not one credit union was in trouble. Almost all of their lending is still done by committee and they never engaged in the stuff regular institutions did. Really though any FDIC bank is safe so long as you believe the full faith of the US is still intact. Check with your bank on the maximum insured limits.