PDA

View Full Version : Visualization Methods for Stocks

agvamihuuzo
08-19-2015,
What are the visual methods used for representing the stock market different from the classic ones (lines, candles, etc.)?

I am a student of Engineering from the Politecnico di Torino and I am writing a final paper about data visualization applied to the stock market. Till now I have noticed that the main methods used are lines, candles, areas, and bars. Consequently, I would be interested in any multi-dimensional or "exotic" tool used for stock representation.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Angeladom
08-20-2015,
I'm not really sure that I'm understanding the question.

Are you asking if there is a way to visualize stock market data or numbers in a way other than all the ways we already use?

aiywqexr47
08-20-2015,
Hi,

thnk u a lot for the answer. With my question I was meaning if there are other ways different from the classic ones, for example using squares, scatter plots, circles. Or even other methods related to 3D. I have seen tht on the website finviz.com they allow the "customer" to use bubbles or treemaps as a tool supporting the stock-picking activity. The thing is that I would like to find multi-dimensional visual methods already available for representing the stock market.

I hope that I have been clearer than before.

thank you a lot again for the interest.

AlfredoMl
08-20-2015,
I've always thought "heat maps" were interesting as they provide a visual often broken down by indexes or sectors etc.
http://finviz.com/map.ashx

Net/Net more money is probably made from selling trading ideas than the trades themselves make.

AOi
08-21-2015,
Thank you a lot.
Heatmaps are something very peculiar and interesting in the way in which they are able to represent the stock market taking into account different variables. But, do you think that they really are helpful for an active stock-trader? Or, better, do you think that the variables taken into account are the proper one?

Thank you in advance again.