PDA

View Full Version : Stock buying/selling question

BlaineTarr
09-25-2014,
I have an account on scottrade. I don't know if I like using them or not but Ill ask that another time. So heres my problem e.g. say I purchase 10 shares of XYZ at $10 and I purchase another 10 shares of XYZ $8 all my shares or both orders are put together in the same bunch as 20 shares instead of 10 at $10 and 10 at $8. When it comes time to sell I cannot choose to sell the 10 shares I bought at $10 or the 10 shares I bought at $8. I know they are the same stock but I wish i was able to choose which bunch I want to sell. Is there a way to sell my orders seperately or are all online platforms pretty much the same? Thanks

JoshuaBrown
09-25-2014,
The distinction is irrelevant. They are just numbers. The shares are all just numbers and the prices are just numbers. It would be like asking the bank to give you back the same 100$ bill you gave them a month ago.

JoshuaBrown
09-25-2014,
The platform will show your over all P/L. Or you can calculate your avg cost by simply dividing the total amount paid (180$) by how many shares you own (20) and that gives your avg cost per share (9$). Which means your break even is 9$....anything above is a profit...anything below is a loss.