PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming earnings..

Aphukeatsex
07-29-2017,
Hey I'm still relatively new to all this... And the last stock I held through earnings burned a thousand dollar hole in my pocket(RIMM).. So I figured I should get some quick advice.

Next week CHTT, PEP and COST report earning and I plan on holding them through earnings. How big of a risk am I taking?

apacfurob
07-30-2017,
I ALWAYS sell or severely lighten the load when a company reports earnings. Then after the report, I make a decision to either put my position back in (either long or short) or to stay away. Sometimes the stock will move the direction you want it to, but in my experience, it seems to move against me more often than not.

antonmog
07-30-2017,
I know others who set their CoolTrade robotic trader exit rules to close any position that has DayToNextEarningsReport less than 15.

In comparison to 2 automated traders, with exact strategies except for that one rule, the one with that rule locked in twice the profits of the one that ignored earnings dates.

It's nice to see others are doing it too. Your comments kind of validate that they are doing.

aojlhjpo09
08-01-2017,
Even if a company beats analyst expectations, it seems as though nothing crazy happens and the stock still could go down with the market on any given day. It seems as though the only way a stock will surge is if they surpass expectations big time. It's probably more of a gamble if you buy stock like that.

antoniojc16
08-02-2017,
Even if earnings are spectacular often times the stock will go down on the news. The big guys run up the price into earnings expecting good earnings. Then when the news comes out and the market is flooded with new buyers the big guys sell into the liquidity and the price drops.