PDA

View Full Version : What are your best and worst performing stocks so far this year?

afuiwipeyib
07-21-2017,
Just curious what everybody's best and worst stock purchases were so far this year?

My best performers were SCSS(sold for almost a double) and INFA(still own it).

My worst performer has been GW(down 14%), but I'm still hoping for a strong come back. Winter is coming and I think it will be a very cold one this year. Natural gas stocks should start to rise again.

agemuwoy
07-21-2017,
CSHD made me the largest gain in the shortest time.

Since finding this forum I have decided to split my portfolio 50-50. Half will be large stocks which I have JNJ, YHOO, HPQ, UNH, MCX & MOVI (don't ask on MOVI). The other half will be geared on research based on recommendations posted here which I currently own IDWD, POIG, ECFL, CSHD.

I bought Compaq shares god knows how long ago and have been riding the wave ever since, I just keep kicking myself for not putting more money into them. I bought them at $13 each so I have tripled my money since HP bought them.

YHOO is killing me -23% and MOVI at -40%...but I just can't bring myself to sell (esp YHOO).

UNH was down around the -50% area but its been recovering and now its at -13%.

JNJ is a stayer...absolutely no fluxuation, I wish it would go up a little...even 5% and I would sell it. I have a feeling that any bad news from these guys would severely impact it.

Affmonitor2017
07-24-2017,
Had a great spring in the patch, stocks and options, calls til cvx 2q then the other side til a month ago now back in calls. Huge hit in the pennies with CHDT then gave back a piece, UDTT cost me a few k. Been in the financials pretty heavy since GS 2q was a monster, bought a bit of MER as well at 69 and she's looking real good. (MER announces within the hour and I have 50 nov80 calls which look to be a good bet). Recently pocketted a bunch on SPLS oct 25 calls.

Adussellkap
07-25-2017,
best: MER and ANF (tied)
Worst: PWAV ( down 50%, luckily was a small position)

Morgan Stanley India Investment Fund near the top (IIF)
Amgen and ELOS at the middle
Nabors towards the bottom

Total: down 2%

admin
07-25-2017,
I wish I would have bought some shares of GS when Cramer mentioned it on his show over a year ago. The stock at that time was in the low $90s.

It always hard to sell losers. I think that's the hardest thing for investors to learn. I guess people in general are stubborn and don't want to believe they were wrong and made a mistake. So they compound the problem by holding and watching the stock fall some more. I still have a problem with selling losers quickly enough(I rationalize that I was a little early in buying), but I'm starting to learn. I don't want to be a stuckholder anymore. Like Warren Buffet says: Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1.

AdrianneVi
07-25-2017,
Best : SWHC Smith & Wesson Holding up +220%
Worst : BMD Birch Mountain Resources Ltd. - 12%
BMD is off more than 50% for the year, but it pays to get out when a stock drops below your stop limit. I can't imagine holding onto a stock that has dropped 50%.