PDA

View Full Version : How to be a trader for a company?

DaveLandry
06-28-2017,
Does anyone know how to be a junior trader for a company? I mean I know there’s a lot of positions for senior traders who earn a lot...but require so much experience.

I guess I m asking how do traders who want to make trading their job get started? what position do they take up when u have no experience...a stockbroker?

Davidflous
06-28-2017,
Get a degree in finance or mathmatics, graduate high in your ivy league school class and impress a bunch of vice presidents, then score really high on the psych test especially on the game theory part.
Most of the traders are doing stat/Arb (statistics and arbitrage) or analysis. They aren't going to let you trade equities any time soon.

Darlagom
06-29-2017,

DarrellGAp
06-29-2017,
If anyone is really serious about trading for a living there are a couple outfits that will give you an effective 10x leverage. Here's the details.:
You put up a substantial sum of money (50k+), and go through the background checks etc.
Then they set you up with a trading platform, like a Thompson workstation or similar system and a T1 line. You'll be renting it. You can in some cases do it from their locations (they are in NY and a few other cities around the country)
They add 20x your investment.
You trade the acct and pay the commissions, then you split the profits 50-50. That's the way you get 10x leverage. If you take losses you split those as well, and you must keep the minimum amount of your own money in the acct all the time.

admin
07-01-2017,
failing the method aiki describes, try-

1. have a family member who is a trader. even today most traders likely get the foot in the door thanks to dad or an uncle.

2. save/ acquire your own capital. generate sustainable, documented gains. if in some way this has not cured your desire to work for another, consider simple licensing and incorporation constraints, secure some OPM, and open your own hedge fund. heck, its so easy, they even have books on it now.