PDA

View Full Version : Debunking the "two-base misconception" (DBS anime)

Carach
06-25-2017,
Origin:The "two base theory" or "god base theory" as many call it, originates from RoF movie where it was hinted that goku's base form probably rivals Super Saiyan god. However no explicit claim was made about that. Now, in DB Super, which essentially rewrote the movies, Goku said something like "I am the super saiyan with the power of Super Saiyan god" when he turns SSB. Hence many people assume that he had the power of SSG in base already. The fact that Akira Toriyama once claimed that Goku absorbed the power of SSG further supports this assumption.
However, when in U6 tournament, everyone is able to give base goku a hard time, people can't handle U6 characters being SSG level. So, there is now a theory that Goku can only use "SSG level power" in base when he uses his white aura.
The "theory":According to this theory, sometimes, Goku uses a base which is on or above SSG lvl and sometimes he uses a base which is only slightly stronger than his BoG arc self.

Cameronlomi
06-26-2017,
Base and godly base are not any seperate things:1. Both have the same kind of ki.
Since it is proven that god ki can't be sensed, and regular ki can be, and the only saiyan forms to have god ki are SSG and SSB, both base and "godly" base have the same ki which is never stated to be special.
2. Same appearance
3. It is pure speculation:
Not once in the show is it implied that saiyans have 2 levels of base power. Base means base. It is meant to be a kids show, not be confusing with speculations. If the authors and creators have anything like that in their mind, they would've attempted to tell us.
4. The difference is never noted:
Krillin is one character who always notes power level differences. He noted it when goku came back from whis training to reach a new level (probably above buu)
However, he never notes an extremely notable thing that would be "hey, goku got even weaker than before, millions of times weaker by training in ROSAT for 3 years. He is thousands of times weaker even in Super Saiyan" How much sense does it make?
5. The only few "low showings" can be explained and none of the "high showings" require them to be SSG level or anywhere near it"

Charlesmed
06-27-2017,
Initially I have 3 thoughts.1. Do we know for sure that when Krillin felt Gokus power in base that Krillin could feel Gokus power inflated by God Ki? I ask because at this point Goku hadn't fought in base in front of Krillin since the Buu saga.
2. You said that you would use the manga as a supplement, in the manga Whis and Beerus explain that Vegeta's 2nd use of SSB against Hit made him less than 1/10th of normal SSB, and under SSG. This implies that SSB is around 10x multiplier on SSG, not 50x like a normal Super Saiyan. This is supported by Toriyama's initial desire to have SS be a 10x multiplier back in the Frieza arc, which the editors made him change to 50x.
I think this affects parts of your argument.
3. Since SSB is a Super Saiyan transformation in it multiplies the power of the base. It makes sense that if God Ki is being used in base that SS3 would be stronger than SSB. Since that isnt the case, it makes sense that when Goku turns SS Blonde, he is not using God ki while in base form and when he turns SSBlue, he is.

Charlespr
06-28-2017,
The alternative explanation is that god Ki can be switched off in base, that Krillin was unaware of how powerful Goku had become, and that in base form the only Ki the other fights can sense is Gokus normal Ki, which he hides entirely while in SSB which is one of the first tricks Whis taught them.
I think I need to reread this though, since its well thought out and there's a lot of it.
Good work.

CharlesBelty
06-29-2017,
I don't think the 50x holds weight anymore in Super, Gohan was holding his own (and even having a slight upper hand when he accustomed to the poison) in base against Lavender, and when he turned SSJ he didn't suddenly stomped him. Its still a power up, but how much is anyones guess.

Also, about Toriyama's x10 view on SSJ, Goku was already using KKx10 and losing, so the only reasonable thing to make out of it would be x10 from KKx10 Goku.