Yes, I know... thats one BIG question. It's one I've never been able to conclusively answer myself but it's never stopped me from trying. I often find the more thought I put into this the more inconclusive the result but there are always a select few that come to mind initially and after considering wether any are truly, in my mind, the greatest fictional character ever created I often find I can think of equals or betters but because they consistently come to mind whenever I ask this that they are who I consider to truly be my greatest fictional characters.
So my question to you, is who do you believe is the greatest fictional character ever created? remember for a lot of people this will not be a definitive answer so it might be productive to consider what initially comes to mind and then possible explanations. If possible why do you believe they/it is the greatest fictional character ever?
As for me one of the most predominant would be Terry Pratchett's Death... (and by consequence his accomplice Death of Rats)