Thread: How to Back Up a Trailer.

Default How to Back Up a Trailer.

Well MD you had me pretty excited until the ramp at the parking garage then Rick spit out the hook.

That said I would bet that is not that far away with proper sensors installed to a trailer for those who have trailer fright......

I have a confession I must toss out there. I have one trailer I never use because I just can not back it up!!! It is a short tongue, short wheel base - single axle - old yet very well constructed 'stock trailer'. To add to my confession my dad who built the said trailer seemed to back it anywhere he wanted to with great proficiency sort of like the VW Trailer Assist. My other trailers I back them all over pretty well with ease. But certainly not as good the the VW Trailer Assist......
    Dawsonol

Short tongue and short wheelbase are difficult. I rebuilt and extended the tongue on my 4x8 utility trailer several years ago. Much nicer but I'm not as good as those VW engineers. That must have been a fun project to work on.
    DaveO9085

I put a cap on my truck and it has made my backing up skill look terrible when I used to put it right where I wanted it the first try!!!

London's streets were set up for horse and cart livery service, the station wagons that ran from the rail depot into the city. One early motor delivery vehicle was a 3 wheeled tractor with a quick coupling and carts of roughly the same size as the old horsecart. They were close to a zero turn miniature tractor trailer, pretty neat. I think learning to back a hay wagon was about the most frustrating learning curve... I'm sure I'd have to turn the tractor around now
    DaniI31908

If they didn't show the reveal at the end- I would have sworn it wasn't real!