Thread: Anybody make soap in here?

CortneyIro

Default Anybody make soap in here?

Well I'm bored (can you tell?) and haven't been spending enough time at the cabin! So, I made soap

First time ever and I messed it up but was able to remelt to fix it Worked out great in the end. Here is the final remelted Canolive II soap (recipe from millersoap.com). Love the stuff too!
    DalFemi

I haven't made any for a couple of years but you hit a primal nerve with this post and I see some in the next weeks agenda

Lye soap was a standard when I was a kid. I love the smell and as far as I'm concerned, it worked better than the store bought stuff.

I have plenty of fat and grease in he freezer. The Birds and the Bears can do without a little of it. I just need a can of Red Devil Lye now.
    The formula I've always used is the one they put on the can.
    deirdreon3

Always wanted to. Ellen makes her own laundry detergent. Works fair to okay but is a lot easier on the septic tank and drain field than store bought from what I have read. And a lot cheaper.
    Darmowaeu2mus

I made a batch way back in my "mother earth wanna be stage"

I purchased beef fat and a can of lye. Rendered the fat added the lye and got a bunch of soap that looked like yours Oljarhead.

I also learned not to use an aluminum pan.

My wife was afraid to use it. It finally found a home in the diaper pail years later, where it performed well.
    DinahZtr00

Yup, a lot cheaper. The wife has made all our soaps from time to time, including the washer. Really makes a dent in the budget, and yes, a primal nerve is struck for sure.

OJ, that soap looks to be the same color of that cheese.....careful now.