I write to you today on my second night in hospital and just wanted to pass on the story to the rest of you rough and ready outdoorsy building types......

Mon- knocking down the center of a 125 year old Victorian chimney breast, covered in dust , wearing shorts caught the center of my knee on a sharp thin metal fin or cover on the back of the oven I'd moved out of the way, thought to myself ouch that's going to hurt me later, but as I was in the middle of fitting a lintle just carried on and got it cemented in place, later I washed and cleaned myself, and had the usual cuts an grazes associated with manual labor, the knee slice hadn't even bled.....
Tues- ripped out under the lintle and cut back some cavity walls I,d ripped out previously with a diamond blade.no issues, having fun.
Weds 3 am knees painful and couldn't sleep just thought it was a usual knee pain from moving my butt from the office to a planned active holiday
Got up early as couldn't sleep, an took a look, some one had added half a bright red grapefruit to the front of my knee, call the docs, get on the pills,
Drew around the infection weds night, Thursday night and Friday morning, the zone of infection was growing.

So off too accident and emergency I went on Friday morning , was admitted and am still here, looks like they,ll be cutting open my knee to get at the bugs busily multiplying on my scapula, and will probably be here till Tuesday. ....

Lesson learned chaps, the smallest most insignificant injuries still need cleaning ! And probably best done when it happens

Doc couldnt even see the wound, as the metal was so thin and sharp , the 1/2" wound just closed up over the hitchhiking microbes and held them inside to fester and multiply