My goal is to eventually daytrade. Doint paper trading is a great idea, however I can't find any applications that can provide me the same information as if I were doing the real thing. By being involved in daytrading, I don't want to pay a brokerage fee of any kind but rather pay a per share rate.

Having said all this, I don't have $25k and so I don't intend on doing daytrading for a while. From now until I have some money in the bank, I will be constanly reading and gaining information and paper trading provided I can find something realistic enough. I have my eye on Lightspeed.

Currently, since I don't have the $25k required, I would like to get my feet wet in other markets. I was asking which other markets can I daytrade on where $1000 can get me some where provided I make the right plays? In other words, I'm looking for markets where the minimum to daytrade in is below $1000.

Not sure if anyone else knows about forex, but I did manage to download MIG Trading Station which is in fact a realistic forex trading software and the trial is for 90 days. When I go long or short, I automatically lose money from the get go (i.e. before price has even changed). Does anyone know why this might be? I think it has something to do with the fact that there are 2 prices for every order entered.