Thread: Stocks vs. Forex for Daytrading

5rJHpj7i27

Default Stocks vs. Forex for Daytrading

I've done some reading on Forex recently, and it has some nice advantages over stocks (24 hour market, no commissions, greater leverage, not as news-driven as equities, etc.). Greater leverage is a nice advantage, since it means potentially bigger profits, but then again, bigger losses as well.

I've also read that the trends on Forex charts are easier to spot, and the trends tend to run longer than stock trends. Easy trends along with minimal commissions and greater leverage seems ideal for daytrading.
    Abadanawhest

Right now, I'm learning how to swing trade stocks and I hope to eventually move into daytrading stocks.

However, if Forex is better suited for daytrading in the long run...I might as well just learn Forex instead of stocks. I'd hate to spend years learning one thing only to switch to another.

Thoughts? Is Forex really more profitable and ideal for daytrading over stocks?

24hr market- In stocks everybody is mostly in the same boat, there is an established pattern of volume. You can use that to your advantage by simply trading for an hour during the most active time period. In Forex volume is more erratic and unstable.

no commissions- There actually are commissions, they are called spreads. It is factored into the trades you make. Forex brokers would not be in business if they didn't get commission. Some Forex brokers can even get unscrupulous and charge you higher spreads if they want to.
    ABPjypaKHB

greater leverage- Sure there is leverage but there's a limit to it in the US and that limit might be narrowed soon by the NFA. You need that higher leverage in Forex because EUR/USD is not going to go to from 1.3317 to 3 overnight, so you leverage to get higher reward from smaller moves.

not as news driven- you'd be surprised how much influence news has on price action. It is very influential in both stocks and currency.

Price action is price action. If you learn technical analysis in stocks you will be better prepared in Forex.