Thread: Emerging Market Funds - Kaiser71

Emerging Market Funds - Kaiser71

Hi All,
    I want to invest into some Emerging Market Funds and possibly India Growth Funds. Would I be better to purchase directly to the fund or go through someone like HL, Fidelity or Halifax?

If you want a fund operated by Vanguard, go to them directly. For most other providers, the minimum that they accept is more than most individuals are likely to have available.

Best to go through a platform otherwise it gets rather difficult to make changes to your portfolio. You dont want to transfer money from one fund manager to another just to rebalance the amounts invested in each fund.

Where do you hold your other investments? Investing solely in EM would be a ballsy and foolish move. If you want to use an ISA and went direct you would need to use all of your annual allowance with that one provider, do they offer the best non EM funds for you? Most people would use a platform because it is more practical and generally no more expensive, often cheaper

It certainly used to be true that if you went direct, you'd pay some quite hefty initial fees, and if you went via a broker they would discount those fees. But as said, go via a broker such as HL, YI etc.

Thanks Gents,
    It sounds risky but I’m only investing 20% of my portfolio into those funds. I have company shares in a oil company I work for. A couple of rental properties and decent company pensions. By the way I think oil prices and funds will bounce back very nicely in the coming years. Drilling programs are starting to move, I’m looking at some oil funds, also keeping an eye on a few companies which might float in a couple of years.

Thanks Gents,
    It sounds risky but Iím only investing 20% of my portfolio into those funds. I have company shares in a oil company I work for. A couple of rental properties and decent company pensions. By the way I think oil prices and funds will bounce back very nicely in the coming years. Drilling programs are starting to move, Iím looking at some oil funds, also keeping an eye on a few companies which might float in a couple of years.