Thread: headsup for meteor shower weekend

Default headsup for meteor shower weekend

This weekend is the peak of the perseids meteor shower for 2010. It is the most visible of the annual showers, and this year should be very good as the moon should set before midnight leaving a very dark sky to see the show.

It peaks on the 12th-13th, or Thursday and Friday night. You obviously want to be in a dark area, away from city lights -- like out at your cabins. Best viewing is after midnight, direction for northern hemisphere folks will be NorthEast - where the perseus the hero constellation is. Try not to use alot of light, but a flashlight can be wrapped with either a red filter or just red saran wrap. The red light does not dilate pupils so it does not interfere with your "night vision".

If you get good weather, you can expect to see between 60 and 100 meteors per hour. Hope people get the chance to be ready for this event and take advantage of it. Take your kids, invite friends and family.

Thanks Muldoon. I will run around covering Sassy's 30 or so solar path lights and have a look.
    Campasr

We saw only one last night before it started to haze up
    CharlesKeymn

I didn't see any but am not sure where I should be looking - any clues for Yosemite Ca area? I didn't get the instructions posted on line - just point me N,S,W or E best you can.