Thread: Grammar

Default Grammar

The Internet has pretty much killed formal writing, and in most cases I ignore it. Text message speak is even worse. This email from the CEO of a Fortune 500 company, however, really bothered me. Two instances of starting a sentence with "so", one a fragment. Whatever the Board pays this guy is too much. Either he wrote it and didn't have it reviewed, or somebody else wrote it and he didn't notice it when he reviewed it. Informal posts on a forum, email with your brother, or sending text messages to your wife, are instances when perfect spelling or grammar are not that critical. A letter from the CEO demands a little more care.

I'm done ranting now.

I agree wholeheartedly. The evening TV news drives me nuts at times too. Not the the news, the delivery.
    Bandaroen

I agree wholeheartedly. The evening TV news drives me nuts at times too. Not the the news, the delivery.

I'm even more guilty John!

When I was with the state we wrote long, dry reports and letters. As a way to better address the public, the Commission sent my entire department to a"Plain Writing Class".

In a nutshell, we were taught to write the same way we spoke. It was a three week class and after the first week, I was instructed to write the way I spoke except for four letter words, mountain slang and colorful stories.

That greatly reduced my vocabulary and my writings were generally four word sentences and one or two sentence paragraphs.

I've gone downhill since and now that I can't type well and have to use Dragon Speak, my poor grammar closely resembles Chinenglish if I don't proof it very carefully, which I often neglect.

The result is, I don't write good no more!