Thread: opinions on my investment strategy?

Default opinions on my investment strategy?

So i started investing in march, made a few mistakes (thankfully none of them very costly).

I started with about 2k, and pumped it up to just over 9k fairly quickly. My strategy thus far has been to take ~$1k positions. I add money every week and each time I get another 1k cash balance I'll take another position if I have any good candidates.

When I first buy a stock I set a stop loss to sell at 5-10% loss depending on the stocks size, 5% for higher priced, 10% for low priced. Every 5% increase in stock price I raise the stops.

I am avoiding borrowing money even though I'm in a margin account. Additionally I'm concentrating on lower priced stocks (<$10) to maximize gain per % and minimize impact of commissions.

Most of my positions I'm planning on holding for >3 months or longer. I have done a few swing trades and have been practicing day trades in a fake money account.

My goal at this point is when I reach ~30k in the account, keep 80% of the positions as long positions, 10% for swing trades, and 10% for daytrades as long as I maintain a >70% profit/loss ratio on my practice daytrading.

I do also have a 6% with matching 401(k) and 4% of my salary going to savings each month on top of the brokerage account for diversity.

Any thoughts on this strategy? Good, bad, tweaks etc?

Started with 2K & up to 9K already...doesn't seem like you need much advice.