Thread: Don't you hate it when . . .

Default Don't you hate it when . . .

you are about to put in a limit order, then the price goes up a few cents and you wait, hoping, believeing that it will go back down and doesn't, you don't get in and within 30 minutes, the price rises enough so that you could have made a quick $2-400?

Oh well, I wait for it to drop back down and will get in there, at least I did not lose.

next time dont wait--put in a discretionary limit order with a few cents spread so it will capture within the range.

I have to agree with bwong. Set your entry point and then have the discipline to stick with it. There will always be another opportunity. Don't look back. I have chased to many stocks.

yah I hate it too. When I was about to buy a stock today, and was calculating how many shares I can buy. After I finished calculating, the stock went from +1% to +3%. I waited and hope it will come down again, it never did. But I bought it anyway. Next time, I better calculate before I plan to buy.

A discretionary limit order or buystop limit with a spread is not chasing
    especially since you do it ahead. If you think leaving 2 cents on the table to enable making 180-380 in the example instead of 200-400 (assuming 1000 shares was bought) is a bad decision think again. As long as you add even 1 dollar incremental net income after commission, in theory it is a smart move. At least thats what my MBA program taught.