Thread: Cancer patient gets a new jaw

BernadoRek

Default Cancer patient gets a new jaw

It's not often that I come across anything positive (Gosh I DESPISE my Facebook Newsfeed) but this was beautiful. A man who lost his jaw (Yup that's jaw) due to cancer, got it replaced by something called '3d printing'.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/3d-p...ncer-1.3663883

Has anyone heard of this technology?

God I love science

UPDATE: They made it with this: http://formlabs.com/fr/produits/3d-printers/form-2/

Wow! That is wonderful! I am very happy for him.

That made me think of you Don. That is good to see.
    I built for a doctor 7 or 8 years ago. He had been to a conference where a speaker was explaining experiments in printing organs. He came back quite impressed with their progress at that point.

3d printing is cool. I was helping some folks with a project at the school, we were in the shop, right down the hall is the robotics shop. The shop had just received a computerized 3 axis routing table, the robotics lab had gotten a couple of 3d printers and a computerized laser cutting machine. Basically if you can draw or scan a part they can make it out of plastic and several other materials. With the 3d printers people are also making a pattern and using it to cast metal parts, you can even use it in a lost wax type of casting.

The RepRap project developed an open source platform making it possible for a DIY tinkerer to put one together for a few hundred dollars. I've been tempted, but haven't gotten that far down the road yet.
    Blondelors

@ChugiakTinkerer Good to know and thanks for the share! Yeah maybe in the future, if I can get my hands on one of these machines, I love to learn more and hopefully own one. Cheers!