Thread: Pyramiding

Default Pyramiding

Can't find much mention of people pyramiding winning positions, I confess I usually overlook these opportunities, usually only too glad to get out with the profit initially targeted.

But surely, if you can pyramid but don't, aren't you giving away free money?

Maybe we can share experiences -

* How big was your best pyramid, i.e. how many times your original risk capital?

* What are your best pyramid signals?

* How many times do you pyramid a successful position?

* If you're doing this successfully, what's your timeframe?

Your approach sounds rather like mine. Pyramiding always sounds good in textbooks but I find that by the time I'm confident that my stock is on a good run I'm thinking about getting out with the money. My approach is to re-enter if I feel there's still mileage to be had. Also, you can argue that pyramiding is concentrating risk. Mine may well be a flawed psychological approach but that's not what my bank account tells me. Perhaps it's symptomatic of being a fairly short term swing trader – I wonder if pyramiding is better suited to longer timescales?

I'm very interested to hear what other people have got to say on this.

im sure i have a p.mIner text on pyramiding somewhere. if i cacn find it i will post it