Thread: Archery

Default Archery

My new hobby and quickly becoming a passion. Anyone have favorite brand bows they want to share? or even warn me to stay away from.

Depends on what kind of bow your looking for?
    Corwynea

Well I have gotten pretty decent at the recurve. I am taking up the compound in January. Everyone at the club keeps telling me I am made for the compound and how much more I am going to enjoy it. Very exciting. Had fun shooting as a kid, but there is something just a little bit more exciting about this.

Do yourself a really, really big favor and do two things if you move into a compound:

1) Buy the best arrows that you can afford that are matched to your bow weight. Account for a little future growth in strength. Don't be surprised if a dozen arrows costs $150 or more. Spend time learning about arrows and the specifications for them.
    2) Have your bow professionally tuned and set up, this will require them disassembling the cables and strings and resetting them to the correct length.

I bought a used compound a few years ago, and was frustrated a bit with my lack of accuracy. In talking with a long time competitor, he gave me the above advice when I was fishing around for a new bow. I found a shop in town that is run by a true pro, and after tuning my bow and matching some quality arrows, I am very pleased with my accuracy.

You will like the arrow speed from a compound bow a lot.

OK, you want a compound. Target or hunting?