Thread: Why Doesn't DC Make Game Of Thrones Comics?

Default Why Doesn't DC Make Game Of Thrones Comics?

Apart from their own superheroes Marvel comics have two successful universes in which they publish comics. Star Wars and to a lesser degree The Dark Tower. Most people say that DC should have something like this in order to keep up with Marvel and most people mention either Lord of the RIngs or Harry Potter, but the truth of it is the only way WB will get the print right to either of these franchises is if they rip it from the cold dead hands of JK Rowling and Christopher Tolkien (especially Tolkien's).

However what about Game of Thrones? Game of Thrones is made by HBO. HBO is owned by Warner. So why the hell are DC not making Game of Thrones comics? Sure they likely wouldn't be as successful as Star Wars but it would still do pretty good business. There have been Game of Thrones comics in the past but for whatever reason Dynamite put them out.
    BramNup

Because you have books and an HBO show. Lmao.

Martin must have retained the comic rights. WB only have the rights for TV and possibly film rights. Martin has shown a willingness to have films made but I'm not sure if anything's been signed. Martin works in tandem with those at Dynamite as well as with Telltale to develop the games so I wouldn't be surprised if he was approached by DC and turned it down for some reason or another, he'd already had tons of offers to adapt ASOIAF before Benioff and Weiss came along and he'd turned them all down.
    I also doubt Martin would allow for totally new stories expanding on his world as we've seen with Star Wars because there's no way he'd ever acknowledge them as part of ASOIAF canon as has been done with Star Wars, he's made that very clear multiple times, he doesn't like fan-fiction. Plus, he's not a fan of modern comics and their lack of any sense of permanency/ real continuity.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that Dynamite might not even have the rights for A Clash of Kings yet (though I may be wrong so don't quote me), which says a lot.
    We don't have much details on the deal between Martin and Warner Brothers/HBO, but they might not even have the rights to the wider stories like Dunk & Egg, TPATQ, Blackfyre rebellions etc. It may be similar to the Tolkien Estate where they only have the right to things within 'The Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' with everything else, which is like, the other 90% of Tolkien's Legendarium, completely out of their hands.