Thread: Thank God for the internet!

Default Warren Buffett

I find it interesting that we've found out that Mr Buffett has bought Posco in Jan and now a railroad. Clearly he doesnt think these old world stocks are slowing down. However, what I find most interesting in this story is he has basically a 60/40 stock to cash position. And a 1/3 fixed income to stock position. That stock to fixed income seems a little conservative but the stock to cash is very conservative. I wonder if that suggest he thinks stocks will become cheaper and he is waiting and/or there is not much out there that is worth buying right now. Essentially he may think stocks are a bit rich??

Buffett's Berkshire buys big Burlington stake
    Legendary investor's firm takes stake of more than 10% in railroad Burlington Northern.
    April 7 2007: 2:09 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. has bought a stake of more than 10 percent in railroad operator Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. that's worth about $3.2 billion, according to a filing with regulators.

The legendary investor's firm and its subsidiaries have acquired about 39 million shares of the Texas-based railroad, Berkshire Hathaway (Charts) said in an S-4 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission late Friday.

Buffett is perhaps the world's most widely imitated investor.
    Burlington Northern (Charts), based in Fort Worth, Texas, has about 358 million shares outstanding. The company's stock closed at $82.72, up about 1.3 percent, on the New York Stock Exchange Thursday. The stock market was closed for Good Friday.

The acquisition of Burlington stock is believed to be the first time that Buffett's firm has bought a stake in a railroad.

His other holdings include or have included American Express (Charts), Coca-Cola (Charts), Wells Fargo (Charts) and Chinese oil company PetroChina (Charts).

Buffett, 76, said in Berkshire's annual report released last month that he plans to hire a younger person - or perhaps more than one - to understudy him in managing Berkshire's investments.

Buffett said he will be helped in his search by Lou Simpson, 70, who has managed the investments of Berkshire subsidiary GEICO for more than 25 years, and by Berkshire's vice-chairman, Charles Munger.

At the end of 2006, Berkshire had $61 billion in equity investments; $28 billion in fixed-income securities; and cash holdings of $43 billion.

Default spinning - thinking about trying this trading thing

I have only recently started watching Cramer. I wanted to try buying the SHCL stock that he recommended. I am a college student and he recommended this even for people like me.

Here's the problem - I want to buy a share, but alll the online trading sites I found require at least $500 to start. I only want to buy this one stock and see what happens.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Default On TV tonite 4/6/07

CNN Press Release: "What would Jesus really do?

Where would Jesus stand on the war in Iraq, world hunger, global warming? Preachers Jerry Falwell, T.D. Jakes, Rick Warren and others debate how churches should confront these issues." (8pm EDT)
    [But not about paying your Fair Tax: (Mark 12:13-17; the same passage appears, slightly modified, in Matthew 22:15-22 and Luke 20:20-26)]

"20/20" press release: "Could Breast Implants be a Motive for Murdering Your Husband? They seemed like the perfect couple, but now Marine Sergeant Todd Sommer is dead, and Cindy Sommer is behind bars. When most wives would be mourning, she got breast implants and partied in Tijuana. But does that make her a murderer? (BOOYAH Moment)

Lottery Curse? Jack Whittaker won more than $300 million in the Powerball lottery, but all his dreams didn't come true when he hit the jackpot. Watch the full story this Friday on "20/20" at 10 p.m. EDT."

Default Charts: Reading them and understanding them

Alright, I'm somewhat of a newbie. I don't active trade in real life, I just do it on these simulators which is really fun in my opinion. On all of these charts from www.stockcharts.com (which is the best site, isn't it?) I find myself looking at these charts and noticing the candlesticks, and the squiggly lliens which I have no idea what they mean. I know that if the MACD lines intersect then that shows momentum. But could someone please explain to me what the oter lines on a chart like this mean, and how well they determine a upward climb or downward fall?

Name: Picture-2.gif Views: 117 Size: 21.2 KB

Default Re: stock question

Anyone with information on any of the following stocks as good investments?

HK
    HOS
    MIND

Thanks...

Mark
    Redondo Beach CA

Default Ok, who's the wiseguy that sponsored the book of mormon ad banner?

JL, was that you? Either one heck of a coincidence, somebody with a sense of humor or just payback for that video I posted and the ensuing debate.