Thread: Thank God for the internet!

Default investing strategys

So what do you people like better:shorting a stock or buying it? I've never bought stocks but I plan to short and buy stocks in my future.

Default The Soprano's

Not the best or worst episode last night, setting up a few possibilities. Baccala leave a little DNA at the scene? Carmela an inspiration for Birthday presents everywhere? And I am not talking about the Taylor Made's.
    Reports are the next episode is similar to this one.

Default Par-don, but I doth swoonnnn, for I have new hero.

Default Stockpickr

Anyone from here posting a portfolio over there? I have one that's been up since 31 march.
    http://www.stockpickr.com/members/po...4-Portfolio-1/
    A lot of bigshots have portfolio's as well. A good place to check out for ideas.

Default Next president?

So who do you want to be the next president? I just want a democrat in the white house to fix Bush's problems. Explain who and why you want them to be president.

Default No Coke for Jesus

Sight Of Jesus Drinking Coke Prompts Lawsuit
    Coke Doesn't Want That Type Of Promotion

POSTED: 9:31 pm EDT April 5, 2007
    LOS ANGELES -- The company's theme song used to be "I'd like to buy the world a Coke," but apparently the offer doesn't apply to Jesus.

Coca-Cola Co. is suing producers of an Italian film titled " 7 Km da Gerusalemme" (Seven Kilometers From Jerusalem), that shows Jesus swigging Coke from a can in the desert. Coke said the scene would probably give the soda a bad image. A spokeswoman said, "We are not interested in this kind of product placement."

The film is set in present-day Israel.

Variety reported that the movie was due to be released April 6, Good Friday, but it has now been pulled by Mediafilm. The company had hoped to capitalize on the Easter spirit.

Quite hilarious from my point of view; Jesus gives Coke a bad image, I can hardly stop laughing.

Default owning a gas station... questions...

A nice deal sort of fell in my lap. I have a chance to own a gas station/convenience store. Should I risk it and do it? Anyone know about doing this? Ever done it, or know someone that has? Is it worth it? How much do you make from selling gas/diesel? It will be in an area were many 18-wheelers go and plenty of room for them to get in and out easily. It's not free or anything, but it's a damn good deal. It already was a gas station at one time, but not now. The tanks are the new fiberglass ones and it's up to EPA codes and such. It's not free, so there is some investing I'd have to do, but it's a really good deal if it's worth the trouble. Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

Default Brain Flatulance 4/8/07

From the Wall Street Journal this week:

Crop Farms in Skyscrapers:
    Feasible or Pie-in-the-Sky?
    The only hope of feeding the Earth's expanding population without exacerbating global warming is to create an infrastructure of urban farms, a Columbia University scientist says. Don't worry about finding enough space, he says -- crop farms could be built into urban skyscrapers.
    Dickson Despommier, a professor of environmental sciences and microbiology, says that skyscraper farms represent a feasible strategy for growing food while protecting the environment, Lisa Chamberlain reports in New York magazine.
    It might seem pie-in-the-sky, but consider this: Mr. Despommier estimates that 150 or so vertical farms could feed the entire city of New York (pop: eight million) for a year. Assuming environmentally friendly building systems are used, a vertical farm would be self- sustaining, producing a net output of clean water and energy.
    Why build vertical farms in urban areas? Controlled settings like skyscrapers would protect crops from traditional scourges of farming, from bad weather to contaminated run-off. With 80% of the world's population expected to live in urban areas by 2050, it makes sense to situate farms nearby. Ms. Chamberlain doesn't say how Mr. Despommier would offset the high real-estate costs or transportation complexities associated with urban areas.
    Mr. Despommier began researching vertical farming six years ago. Since then, scientists from land-scarce Dubai and the Netherlands have contacted him about working on his ideas. He says it would take a group of scientists, architects and planners five to 10 years to figure out how to create workable skyscraper farms, and he is hoping to cultivate the deepest-pocketed philanthropists, and oil companies, to make it happen.

Wall Street Journal (4/7/07)