Thread: Thank God for the internet!

Default Attacks on Ca ISO energy grid

Suspect Arrested Following Dual Incidents at California ISO

April 19, 2007 7:36:AM ET
    By Staff Reporter

Folsom, CA - The California Independent System Operator Corporation (California ISO) expresses its gratitude to authorities following the apprehension today of a suspect wanted in connection with two incidents that happened this week at its Folsom headquarters. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) reports that Lonnie Charles Denison, 32, employed by a firm on contract with the ISO, was arrested at 1:30 p.m. today. Denison faces federal charges of Destruction of an Energy Facility. The FBI reports he is housed at the Sacramento County main jail and makes his initial appearance in Sacramento Federal Court on Thursday, April 19, 2007.
    The ISO thanks the FBI and the quick response provided Monday by local law enforcement, which included the Folsom Police Department, Sacramento Police Department and the Sacramento County Explosives Ordnance Detail.
    Authorities were called in to investigate immediately following a midnight act Sunday night that cut off the internal power supply to several computer systems that handle ISO market data. The deliberate disruption of onsite power to the computer banks did not impact grid operations or affect any electricity customers. Built-in redundancies in the ISO computer backbone prevent a single action from affecting the power grid. Additionally, the Energy Management System, which provides the computerized support of grid operations, remained unaffected. The ISO markets were functioning by 3:00 a.m., with full restoration of the computer systems by 6:00 a.m.
    Nearly twelve hours after the first incident, the California ISO received a credible threat of physical harm to the facility via an email from the same suspect. With employee safety the top priority, the threat was taken very seriously and a decision was made immediately to evacuate all three ISO buildings at the Folsom campus. Grid operations were transferred within minutes to the California ISO's second Control Center, while approximately 500 employees safely evacuated its Folsom headquarters.
    The ISO Folsom campus was cleared for reentry at approximately 5:00 p.m. Monday and ISO grid operations personnel returned to staff the Folsom Control Center for the night shift, assuming operation of the grid from its other control center by approximately 6:00 p.m.
    The FBI and other authorities have established a link between the two incidents and have determined the suspect acted alone.
    While many things went right in terms of the response to and recovery from these events, the California ISO is launching an internal investigation to review security policies and procedures, and other mitigation steps taken in response to the incidents.

This could easily be the work of one idiot as the FBI claim, or someone else now nows their sop to this type of attack. Just something else to think about.

Default More reasons to hate ethanol

It pollutes more than gasoline, just gets better and better doesn't it?

http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/journa...e_ethanol.html

Default Don Imus

You would think after all these years that Imus should know becoming a sniveling pus ain't gonna satisfy your critics, particularly if you are facing Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and so on

He should have apologized and not become a sorrowful wreck

The Jackson/Sharpton sharks are feasting off blood, and Imus still spews blood for this group

Nothing, zero, nata will satisfy this group!

Quite frankly, I wish Imus and many others--even if I disagree with them--would tell the empty headed sharks of the media--regardless race, gender, or whatever, "GO TO H___ !! I SCREWED UP, OK? YOU HAVEN'T SCREWED UP?!"

Geez!

Default Avatar test

Default A real good place to start?

Hey guys,
    I got 1000$ im looking to play on the stock market. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on a good site to open an account on. I am Canadian if this in any way matters.

Default Dana Carvey on Bill Maher

In a good Al Gore impersonation: "I'm tellin' ya, we have to do something about global warming, and the best way to do that is to elect Hillary president, because she is one cold bitch"

Default "The Sopranos" -- Week 2

Well, what do you think?

The song at the end was excellent, so creepy

All-in-all, I just plain like the show

Don't want to say much now, because I don't want to spoil the show if you watch it, too, and have not seen this week's episode

Makes me more than ever glad I ain't in the mob, because more than anything their life seem so boring as well as deadly

Default Sos

Democrat or Republican

Liberal or conservative

The song is the same, just different performers

http://www.examiner.com/a-675671~Con..._up_steam.html