Thread: Thank God for the internet!

Default Homework: Ides of March

How appropriate does it get?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ides_Of_March

Default Trouble Coming?

Our newest member Jack25. What do you think, coincidence?

Default mexico

Mexican economy poised for greatness
    New leadership and business reforms help improve outlook

By PATRICK McGEE
    STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

A vendor in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico, sells her wares. Many in Mexico still live below the poverty line.
    When Mexican President Felipe Calder?n meets with President Bush today, he is expected to discuss his plans to improve prospects for Mexican workers so fewer of them will try to come to the United States.

Experts say Calder?n and his generation of leaders are working to turn Mexico into an economic heavyweight over the next few decades, rather than a poor country sending illegal immigrants across the border.

But challenges remain. About 40 percent of the nation's population lives in poverty, and monopolies dominate major industries.

But despite the challenges, Mexico's new finance minister, Agust?n Carstens, is so optimistic that he told the Financial Times last month that Mexico's economy could become fully developed in 20 years, as in Ireland and Spain.

Last year, the World Bank named Mexico one of the world's top 10 reformers in making the country a better place to do business.

A December 2005 Goldman Sachs report forecasts that Mexico will be the sixth-largest economy in the world by 2050, saying "only Mexico and perhaps Korea have the potential to rival" the emerging economies of China, India, Russia and Brazil.

In 2004, Mexico issued 20-year bonds for the first time, indicating an improvement in investor confidence. During the tough economy of the mid-1990s, Mexico could not issue bonds longer than six months.

"This brings a lot more stability, and it's a sign that the Mexican financial markets are maturing," said Michael Brandl, a finance lecturer at the University of Texas at Austin.

Experts say Mexico has positioned itself for economic success with:

A more democratic and politically stable government. Mexico's democratic institutions passed a severe test last year with a close presidential election. There were acrimony and protests but no upheavals or bloodshed.

Banking reforms. In 1998, Mexico allowed full foreign ownership of banks, which opened the country to more investment. Loans are made based on credit scores, putting the country's loans on much firmer ground. Loans were previously made based on personal or family relationships, or information loosely shared among banks, said William Gruben, director for the Center for Latin American Economics at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.

Default Got gold?

9 month high today- and i can hear the anger in Kudlow's voice with my TV in the other room. sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some.

disclosure: miner free after today. maybe now i will have time to leave the bunker. in any event, best wishes.

Default the stock market

I'm a high school senior and I'm very interested in the stock market. If I wanted to be a stockbroker, or have another job related to the stock market, I would have to major in economics in college right? I was planning on majoring in accounting in college but I may change to economics because I find the stock market so interesting. I told my Dad to invest in Apple like 2 years ago (due to ipods) when the stock price was $40 but he didn't want to put his money into a stock at that price. Well, the stock is now in the high $80's so I think I would be a great stock picker. Any ideas on what i should do? I definatly want to invest $1000 when I go to college even though my parents want me to save my money.