Thread: Thank God for the internet!

Default How Long Will It Take You To Save A Million Dollars?

You Can Be A Millionaire But It Takes Time

Default Joe Scarborough in the Washington Post

Interesting perspective from the right.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...r=emailarticle

Republicans distancing themselves from Bush et al as a move towards self preservation. Gonna be an interesting political season, we'll see which side does the best job of self destruction, usually the Dems are better at shooting themselves in the foot, but this time the Repubs have a lot more to lose and it's gonna be difficult to blame anyone but themselves for the state of affairs we see today.

Disclaimer: I am a godless liberal, and my motives should be regarded as an attempt to put forth that agenda.

Default Signs of a stroke

SMILE - TALK - RAISE BOTH ARMS -STICK OUT TONGUE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My cousin who is a pediatrician send me this e-mail.

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters...S.T.R.

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
    During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and that she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...
    A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.
    RECOGNIZING A STROKE
    Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!
    Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
    T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
    (Coherently) (i.e. . . It is sunny out today)
    R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

*NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their
    tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other,
    that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with
    ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately !! and describe the
    symptoms to the dispatcher.

The Guru has spoken

Default Weird Stat about this forum

I see this:

"Most users ever online simultaneously was 254, 06-07-2006 at 10:00 PM."

What in the Fabric of Time happened to cause this?

Default Average worker vs. Military man

Average worker vs. Military man

----Your alarm goes off, you hit the snooze and sleep for another 10 minutes.

He stays up for days on end.

-- -- You take a warm shower to help you wake up.

He goes days or weeks without running water.

-- -- You complain of a "headache", and call in sick.

He gets shot at, as others are hit, and keeps moving forward.

-- -- You put on your anti war/don't support the troops shirt, and go meet up with your friends.

He still fights for your right to wear that shirt.

-- -- You make sure you're cell phone is in your pocket.

He clutches the cross hanging on his chain next to his dog tags.

-- -- You talk trash on your "buddies" that aren't with you.

He knows he may not see some of his buddies again.

-- -- You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls.

He walks the streets, searching for insurgents and terrorists.

-- -- You complain about how hot it is.

He wears his heavy gear, not daring to take off his helmet to wipe his brow.

-- -- You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order wrong.

He does not get to eat today.

-- -- Your maid makes your bed and washes your clothes.

He wears the same things for months, but makes sure his weapons are clean.

-- -- You go to the mall and get your hair redone.

He doesn't have time to brush his teeth today.

-- -- You are angry because your class ran 5 minutes over.

He is told he will be held an extra 2 months.

---- You call your girlfriend and set a date for that night.

He waits for the mail to see if there is a letter from home.

-- -- You hug and kiss your girlfriend, like you do everyday.

He holds his letter close and smells his love's perfume.

-- -- You roll your eyes as a baby cries.

He gets a letter with pictures of his new child, and wonders if they'll ever meet.

-- -- You criticize your government, and say that war never solves anything.

He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own government and remembers why he is fighting.

-- -- You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of the men like him.

He hears the gun fire and bombs.

-- -- You see only what the media wants you to see.

He sees the bodies lying around him.

-- -- You are asked to go to the store by your parents. You don't.

He does what he is told.

-- -- You stay at home and watch TV.

He takes whatever time he is given to call and write home, sleep, and eat.

-- -- You crawl into your bed, with down pillows, and try to get comfortable.

He crawls under a tank for shade and a 5 minute nap, only to be awakened by gun fire.

-- -- You sit there and judge him, saying the world is a worse place because of men like him.

If only there were more men like him !!

The Guru has spoken

Freedom is Not Free / War Is Hell

A Story of Six Boys

Each year I am hired to go to Washington, DC , with the eighth grade class from Clinton , WI where I grew up, to videotape their trip. I greatly enjoy visiting our nation's capitol, and each year I take some special memories back with me. This fall's trip was especially memorable.

On the last night of our trip, we stopped at the Iwo Jima memorial. This memorial is the largest bronze statue in the world and depicts one of the most famous photographs in history -- that of the six brave soldiers raising the American Flag at the top of a rocky hill on the island of Iwo Jima, Japan, during WW II.

Over one hundred students and chaperones piled off the buses and headed towards the memorial. I noticed a solitary figure at the base of the statue, and as I got closer he asked, "Where are you guys from?"
    I told him that we were from Wisconsin "Hey, I'm a cheese head, too! Come gather around, Cheese heads, and I will tell you a story."

(James Bradley just happened to be in Washington, DC , to speak at the memorial the following day. He was there that night to say good night to his dad, who has since passed away. He was just about to leave when he saw the buses pull up. I videotaped him as he spoke to us, and received his permission to share what he said from my videotape. It is one thing to tour the incredible Monuments filled with history in Washington , D.C. , but it is quite another to get the kind of insight we received that night.)

When all had gathered around, he reverently began to speak. (Here are his words that night.)

"My name is James Bradley and I'm from Antigo, Wisconsin my dad is on that statue, and I just wrote a book called "Flags of Our Fathers". It is the story of the six boys you see behind me. "Six boys raised the flag. The first guy putting the pole in the ground is Harlon Block. Harlon was an all-state football player. He enlisted in the Marine Corps with all the senior members of his football team. They were off to play another type of game. A game called "War." But it didn't turn out to be a game.

Harlon, at the age of 21, died with his intestines in his hands. I don't say that to gross you out, I say that because there are generals who stand in front of this statue and talk about the glory of war. You guys need to know that most of the boys in Iwo Jima were 17, 18, and 19 years old.

(He pointed to the statue) "You see this next guy? That's Rene Gagnon from New Hampshire. If you took Rene's helmet off at the moment this photo was taken and looked in the webbing of that helmet, you would find a photograph... a photograph of his girlfriend. Rene put that in there for protection because he was scared. He was 18 years old. Boys won the battle of Iwo Jima Boys. Not old men.

"The next guy here, the third guy in this tableau, was Sergeant Mike Strank. Mike is my hero. He was the hero of all these guys. They called him the "old man" because he was so old. He was already 24. When Mike would motivate his boys in training camp, he didn't say, 'Let's go kill some Japanese' or 'Let's die for our country.' He knew he was talking to little boys. Instead he would say, 'You do what I say, and I'll get you home to your mothers.'

"The last guy on this side of the statue is Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian from Arizona. Ira Hayes walked off Iwo Jima. He went into the White House with my dad. President Truman told him, 'You're a hero.' He told reporters, 'How can I feel like a hero when 250 of my buddies hit the island with me and only 27 of us walked off alive?' So you take your class at school, 250 of you spending a year together having fun, doing everything together. Then all 250 of you hit the beach, but only 27 of your classmates walk off alive. That was Ira Hayes. He had images of horror in his mind. Ira Hayes died dead drunk, face down at the age of 32 .. ten years after this picture was taken.